1950s

I made a new playsuit!

I’ve been wanting to make another playsuit in fun colors ever since last summer’s adventure, and when I saw a watermelon print fabric at Joann’s I snapped up the last few yards that were left on the bolt.

I ended up compiling four patterns to get the basic pieces:  Simplicity 4395 and Vogue 3282 for the bodice and Simplicity 3688 and Butterick 7761 for the shorts.  I also put together a simple dirndl skirt without a pattern.

I’m super pleased with how it came out… I really like the high waisted shorts, and the watermelon fabric is such fun.  I even made a little matching belt out of an old cheapy kid’s belt from Target.  It’s a little messy, but it will do for now.  I’ll definitely make the shorts again, although I may lengthen the inseam a smidgen!  I’m also thinking of making another top option out of my remaining watermelon fabric & opinions on that would be awesome.

More pictures of the play version, the dress version, and the construction details can be found on my blog!

{ 10 comments }

Butterick 6018

by cawmags on July 8, 2014 · 2 comments

in 1950s

My favourite vintage is definitely 50s style; swinging skirts and nipped-in waists.  This is a reproduction pattern Butterick  6018 which was new this season.

It wasn’t an easy pattern, quite a lot of bulk in places, but this would be minimised by a finer fabric (this was a synthetic crepe, but in my absolutely favourite duck egg blue).  I am generally happy with this dress, although I think it could be more fitted around the waist.  I cut a size 14 graded to a 16 at the bust.  More details on my blog (http://magscreativemeanderings.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/butterick-6018-and-happy-july.html)

{ 2 comments }

Thought you lovely folks would appreciate the stack of vintage patterns I just thrifted for 10 cents each. I may have squealed in the store….

A pile of vintage treasures!

A sampling of my faves here, but check out the full blog post for all 20!

Butterick 8381 (1958)

Simplicity 5059 (1960s)

Simplicity 8656 (1969) Those collars!

Sew Lovely P500 (1970)

{ 8 comments }

Another finished project to share with you today. This the dress I made for my birthday last month. I call this my “Violets are Blue and Purple Birthday Dress.”

The dress was made from two different vintage patterns. The bodice from McCall’s 8949 (1950s) and the skirt from McCall’s 5812 (1960s).

The fabric came from my mom’s sewing stash. It had some light staining, probably from storage, which mostly came out in the wash. The marks were difficult to cut around but are not all that noticeable on the finished dress. I also had a limited amount of fabric so matching the print was a bit of a challenge. Overall I’m very happy with it and really enjoyed having something fun and pretty to wear for my birthday. :)

{ 4 comments }