1930s

Hello everyone!

I am back with my latest make, a blouse made from the 1930s  Smooth Sailing pattern from Wearing History. I had the perfect Spitfire fabric and wanted to make a RAF blouse with a slight touch of ‘uniform’. I altered the giant puffed sleeves  into shoulder pleats, and added tabs to the shoulder. I think it looks a bit more ‘masculine’, but very smart ;)

 

I really can’t recommend this pattern enough, it is a lovely wearable style, and easy to tweak into whatever you like.

This is my second take, and I suspect more in the future. If you’d like to see more pictures and read more about the blouse and fabric, please hop on over to my place! Thanks for looking ;)

 

 

 

 

{ 6 comments }

 

 

Hi everybody! I wanted to share with you the last bra that I made, it’s a 30s inspired bra, a friend asked me if I could sew a pointy bra for her and I was thrilled with that idea. There are many pictures of the step by step in my blog.

 

 

 

 

 

 

{ 4 comments }

Let me preface this by saying that this is my first post to date! I’ve been sewing for a couple of years and this was actually the first dress I ever sewed.
When I got engaged, I jokingly considered “just making my own dress” as a way to ease the financial burden that a wedding can cause. However, the more I thought about it, the more intrigued I was by the idea. When I finally decided, it seemed like the world was against me. But, that really only fueled the fire. I had sewn shirts and skirts so I knew a dress couldn’t be any more difficult…and it really wasn’t. Except for the fact that I bought real silk which meant I couldn’t get even a drop of water on it.
I was mostly inspired by Madeleine Vionnet and her 1930′s bias cut gowns. I loved the soft and feminine look of the gowns and the non-corset bodice. The flouncy bottom of her dresses also drew me to that style. I flirted with the idea of learning to bias sew but quickly laughed that off.
The more and more I sewed my dress the more I wanted lace on it. At the same time, my mom was offering for me to wear her dress from 1980 (not to mention she’s a half foot shorter than me and about 3 dress sizes smaller). So instead I decided to use the lace from her gown and incorporate it in my own.
I also decided to make a detachable train which I am so glad that I did. It felt so nice dancing around without a train dragging me down.

Here are some more photos of the dress. I used the delicate lace to draft sleeves and finished it with a small scalloped edge. The front and back bodice incorporated both the delicate lace and the wider lace. I trimmed the bottom of my dress in the wider lace and the front opening and bottom of my train.

Here is when the train came off:

Also I used vogue v2931 and took in the panels on the train, took off the bow and straps, and took in the top of the sloth as well. I also separated the train to make it detachable.

PennyandMary and DIYbride posted about it if you’re interested.

Thanks and I hope you enjoy!

{ 10 comments }

This is my contribution to the second challenge in the Historical Sew Fortnightly 2014, which was “Innovation”. I’ve written quite a lot about why this dress is a sign of social change in my blog, and also have pictures of my inspiration etc, you can see it here.

{ 2 comments }