1930s

I love vintage playsuits, especially ones with qwirky novelty prints!

So I made up this playsuit in this darling crab print!

It’s a mish-mash of a 40s skirt, a 30s bolero and a modern blouse.

And it was perfect for my recent trip to Florida! :D

Do you love playsuits? I’ve got more photos over on my blog.

{ 1 comment }

I have wanted an emerald evening dress since I saw Keira Knightley’s stunning silk one in the film “Atonement”. I used Vintage Vogue 2859 after searching for a 1930′s style pattern and made a few design alterations- I added fullness to the skirt, cut on the bias and made a waist/hip sash. My tutorial for the pattern alterations is on my blog here, and more pics of my gorgeous sister modelling the dress are here, she saw it when she was visiting and wanted to wear it- lucky me for such great pictures!

 

 

{ 12 comments }

My 2014 Sew for Victory dress, finished at last and I wanted to share a few pictures. I first posted about this sewing project here when I revealed my fabric and pattern. The vintage fabric I picked up somewhere ages ago, I really can’t remember! It was super light and perfect for this late 1930s dress. A little surprise was finding the original price tag still attached. :) The next time I wear the dress I’ll be sure to pick a longer slip to wear underneath. This was actually the first time I put everything on together and it was only then that I realized the slip was a little on the short side for this dress. Oops.


The pattern I used was McCall 3306 from March 1939. (I only know that because the date was stamped on the inside of the pattern envelope.) After some debate I decided to make the double collar with the lace. I really like how it looks on the dress but I’m not super crazy about it on me.

Here is the mostly finished dress.

The hat my own creation and very much inspired by those darling doll and tilt style hats so popular in the late 1930s. I actually used a straw dolls hat as my base. After a quick soak in some warm water I re-shaped it, let it dry over night then added a bit of antique velvet ribbon.

Be sure to check out the Sew for Victory Flickr album to see pictures of everyone’s finished projects. :) Rochelle of Lucky Lucille will also be putting together a project parade video so be sure to look for that on her blog.

{ 7 comments }

Hello all,

The usual – long time lurker etc. I’ve been sewing for at least two thirds of my life and am a part-time seamstress for hire. I also work in the theatre industry as a Stage Manager and Props builder. I’ve recently been making things from my vintage pattern stock, some of which are posted on my blog, and others which will be soon!

I thought for my first post, I’d share a project that I completed in the fall for a good friend’s wedding. Since I’ve been on contract for the past few months, I’ve just recently been able to add it to my site. I’ve been getting into 1930s styles, and the bride is a long time fan of the era, so it was a perfect fit that we design her dress accordingly. As a prelude, I don’t normally do wedding dresses. I feel that there is a large pool out there and I’m only interested if it’s a special, personalized gown. My previous versions have included a light green dress, and a Sleepy Hollow themed wedding party.

I did lots of research on 30s gowns, and working with fabric on the bias. Here’s the finished gown on the bride – in the end, I could not get it onto my dress form as there were no fastenings. The bodice is entirely cut on the bias and fits her like a glove (a glove that fits obviously…).

Late afternoon light on a lovely lady.

Action shot.

Princess seams, a beaming Groom and a fairy flower girl.

The pattern was self drafted. Pearl beads accent the front and back neckline.

Bodice beading and a custom veil too!

A train was attached with pearl beads also, which was removed for the reception (for dancing and sitting comfortably).

The back View without the train.

For more pics and nerdy sewing details, see the full post here.

More fun projects to come!

~ Heather

{ 7 comments }