1920s

The jazz age! Sportswear, cloche hats, and boyish silhouettes…

My outfit including my wool coat with fluffy fox fur collar and a fake bob which took more effort than the dress.

I recently went to a prohibition night at the Police and Justice Museum in Sydney, Australia. They had turned the museum into a speakeasy with heaps of fun activities, music and performances. Of course they encouraged 1920′s and 30′s dress and so I “whipped up” (because it’s that easy) a flapper dress. I found a gorgeous light satin in green and bought the longest black fringing I could find. I used a 1970′s (Simplicity 8750) bias slip pattern but left out the main darts to have that loose silhouette and added two rows of fringing on the bottom.


I also tied the Best Dressed competition so I’m very happy.

 
I had forgotten how fantastic bias cut is to wear and am very tempted to make more bias cut garments. I’m hoping to have a few more photos on my Instagram: http://instagram.com/sharpscissors from the night soon.

{ 6 comments }

The Betty Skirt pattern is the debut pattern from Shaffer Sisters!

Betty Skirt pattern | SewsNBows

I thought some of you retro sewists might like the 1920′s inspired deep yoke, and 8 or 16 gore pleat options. It goes up to a girls size 10, but I hear rumors that it may be sized up to teen & women’s soon!

Betty Skirt in Denim with Mother of Pearl Buttons

You can see photos, pattern options, and a link to the designers at SewsNBows. I’m really proud of Shaffer Sisters for working so hard to release their first pattern!

{ 2 comments }

Hi lovely people at wesewretro,
this is my first post on this amazing site and I would like to introduce my latest make to you. It´s a babypink satin dress in the style of the roaring twenties here in Berlin. As a vintage lover I wanted to attend a party dedicated to this era and just had to make my own dress for this special occasion!

I found a pattern in an older Burda Style, December 2011, dress number 126. It was not perfect but good enough for my purpose. So I made a few adjustments, like taking in the side seems a little (I like to show a little waist!) and eliminated the velvet panel in the middle…. the hardest part was adding the thousands (or so it seemed) beadstrings that I had in my mind to posh up my look… turned out fabulous if you don´t mind me boasting ;-)

You can have a look of the completed dress and if you´re interested in more detail, pop over to my blog.

 

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers,

Milan

 

 

{ 4 comments }

I made this dress to wear to a Downton Abbey inspired tea, but also as an entry into the Historical Sew Fortnightly Challenge #3 Pink.  The pattern itself is a repro of an original 1921 Butterick pattern and it went together very nicely.  For being such an old pattern the instructions were much better than what you find on BurdaStyle magazines, although they are wholly inadequate Big Four standards today. I used a poly shantung for economical reasons but other than that, the dress is pretty historically accurate.  Actually, it’s not a dress but a skirt suspended from a “long underbody” and then a blouse on top. I am very happy with how it turned out.  It’s not something I can just wear around but it served its purpose, and I think I’m going to use during Costume College for day activities.  For more pictures and a description of the Historical Sew Fortnightly challenge, please visit my blog.  I almost forgot, I made the hat too, using Simplicity 1736 and wool/rayon felt.

 

As a side note, I hadn’t made any posts since the blog was moved over from Blogger but I could have sworn I had an account.  Apparently I didn’t so I had to create one, and it’s showing that I have no other posts.  Bummer.

{ 5 comments }