1950s | Dresses | Vintage Sewing

My last 2016 project, Simplicity 8252

By on January 2, 2017

So excited to have finished up 2016 with a bang! The last project I worked on was Simplicity 8252.

Vintage sewing, Simplicity 8252, chiffon and crepe | Vintage on Tap

Vintage sewing, Simplicity 8252 | Vintage on Tap

 

Vintage sewing, Simplicity 8252 | Vintage on Tap

 

Lots of fiddling with chiffon, lots of fiddling with crepe, and a ridiculous amount of hand sewing. I actually jumped on this pattern when Simplicity released it and I’m glad I did- because even though it was a bunch of work, in the end it all came together.

Shortly after snapping these pictures, I actually added some hidden snaps along part of the center front (total of 3) to “close up” the front just a little bit more. The original pattern had the front fully closed, but to be honest, I knew that the buttoned up look wasn’t going to work for me or be very practical for how I like to wear my clothing.

I definitely would want to make this for myself again in the summer. Probably a cotton underdress and a light eyelet redingote, which would be awesome for a day adventure.

More photos are on my website.
Making Of video (including how I solved me accidentally cutting into the chiffon bodice *sigh* ) on my YouTube channel.

Continue Reading

1950s | Burlesque / Pinup | Dress Forms | Dresses | Vintage Sewing

The Little Red Dress Project, Butterick 5603

By on December 22, 2016

The holidays are now in full swing and I knew I had to hurry and stitch up my holiday dress! Fortunately I was able to fall into the “Little Red Dress Project” guidelines with my 1956 Butterick 5603!

Butterick 5603 | Vintage on Tap

Butterick 5603 | Vintage on Tap

Butterick 5603 | Vintage on Tap

Butterick 5603 | Vintage on Tap

 

I used silk dupioni, silk charmeuse to underline the whole thing, and silk organza to stabilize it. Surprisingly, for a dress with so much hand sewing, it didn’t take more than a few days to complete. The fit itself also wasn’t too difficult, though I did need to change the bust darts into pleats to be able to handle a full bust adjustment of 2″. From the waist, I cut about 5-6 inches to accommodate a small waist length as well.

To see more photos and read more about my specific tips sewing this dress, please check out my blog.
To watch the whole start-to-finish making of video, head on over to YouTube! 

Continue Reading

1950s | Dresses | Introduction | Vintage Sewing

Vintage Simplicity 8085

By on June 15, 2016

W00 hoo! Finally getting brave enough to post on the main We Sew Retro blog! Been a huge fan of everyone’s projects on this blog for a long time and wanted to share my most recent make.

I’ve been sewing for about 15 years and originally went to school for textile and fabric design. I am obsessed with using colorful prints!

I made this dress a week and a half ago and have all ready worn it a bunch of times- I’m all ready thinking I should make another version in a linen fabric.

 

Vintage on Tap, Simplicity 8085Vintage on Tap, Simplicity 8085

Vintage on Tap, Simplicity 8085

I was really apprehensive about only having snap closures… so I added at least 3 more than the amount the pattern dictated!

Also, I put in my bias binding detailing a little bit differently than what the original pattern called for. I talk about that a little bit in the video I made for it.

 More details, additional pictures, and video can be found over on my blog.

Continue Reading