These past few weeks, I had two lead styling gigs where I had to wear white. I don’t have very much white in my closet, so I had to go out and buy something for one of the gigs.
In between the two events, I decided to clean out one of my closets where my UFO’s (Unfinished Object) are stashed. I stumbled across this white dress that I started here. Yes that’s right, it’s been sitting unfinished since Spring 2011. The dress is fully lined and the only finishing needed was the hem. I then remembered that because the dress was lined it fit snug and wouldn’t go over my hips. I was desperately needing a white dress so I thought why not? I tried it on and it fit fine. I suppose I must have lost weight since then, which is never a bad thing (;
Unfortunately, I didn’t get around to him the dress until after the last event.
I wore the dress yesterday, but I feel like it’s one of those dresses I’m going to wear once or twice a year. I just don’t like white on me.
For more pictures & how I styled this dress, you can check that on my blog here.
I’ve been very eager to write this post! This costume took about a month of planning and a week of sewing. However, the dress itself took 2 1/2 days to complete.
As mentioned in my previous post on my blog, I also made another dress for my friend during the time frame as mine. It got a bit hectic and stressful, there were a couples nights around 1 in the morning when I questioned myself “Am I actually going to finish everything on time?” Well, I made it!!! I will be posting about the dresses separately. But you will get a bit of a preview of what the other dress looks like!
The pattern I used was Simplicity’s 3828 from 1960 and the pop tart fabric is by Benartex 100% cotton. I also used vintage lace from my stash.
This is the outcome.
For more pictures and info on the rest of my costume, you can check that here.
Finally, I have been able to sit down in my studio and get something accomplished! Lately, it’s been all school, work, and no fun.
This was a fairly simple garment to make. I thought it was to perfect project to get inspired to work on more challenging items.
Something interesting that happened, was me choosing what fabric I wanted to use. I normally choose the pattern first.
The fabric I went with was this great mid-late 1960’s knit with a funky print. I’m really obsessed with the colors in it. I’m pretty sure I found this fabric at a thrift store around 2010 for a dollar or so.
As of now, I’m still at school and I don’t have access to a better picture of the pattern I chose. I actually don’t even remember the number. However, I do know that it’s simplicity and I want to say that the pattern is from 1966. I will update you as soon as I can.
I just wanted to share a dress that I made over a year ago! I’ve been wearing it a lot lately since I have to wear all black to work. My only regret is not making the matching bolero and cummerbund. One day!
I used Simplicity 2955 from 1955 and used a linen mix for the fabric. I love the feel of the fabric, but it does wrinkle a lot!
Here’s the dress!
For more pictures from my Mad Men inspired shoot, check out my blog!
Until next time!
I just wanted to share my most recent creation. I wasn’t sure about posting it on here, but I had a change of heart after the positive feedback from my blog and Facebook.
This honestly has to be my least favorite dress I’ve ever made. I fee like it makes me look wider than I am. I believe it’s because I choose plaid and it’s gathered at the waist.
The dress was simple to make and didn’t take me all that long. I used vintage embroidered plaid fabric from my stash. The only issue I had was the bodice fitting me big, but that was easily fixed by taking it through the darts.
I feel like this dress looks great on my mannequin and the hanger, but not me. I also feel like a pilgrim with the oversized collar LOL
Well, I guess all dresses can’t be winners!
Hi! It’s been a good minute since I was able to post something! I recently participated in the fall for cotton sew along. This is what I made (:
I used Simplicity’s 2370 from 1957. The fabric I used is 100% cotton for “home decor” purposes, but thought a dress would suit it better! Now I can tell you all about the good, the bad, and the ugly.
For more pictures or curious about the fabric, you can check out my blog, Through the Alley