Cherie

I know, I know, everyone has sewn this dress.  Two years ago.  But, I was feeling left out, and two years ago I didn’t sew at all,  so I gave it a go recently.  Here is my version.  (The original pattern cover can be seen here)I did read about other people sewing this dress on other blogs and I read about fitting issues and some other tweaks that people make to this pattern, so I cut a size smaller than I normally would have so that I could learn from other people’s mistakes.  I must have read incorrectly because boy, did I over-compensate.  I cut this dress a size too small.  I left NO room for overlap on the front panels.

I ended up sewing little rectangles of bias tape to extend the panels of the circle skirt so that I could both wear the dress and breathe at the same time.  I also put some cloth covered buttons on the rectangle to cover the stitching on the sew-on snaps I used as fasteners.

I think that separating the panels like that actually adds something nice to the dress.  It allows  you to see the edges of the bias tape and the fitted skirt better.  I like the mistake – which doesn’t always happen.

The one thing I don’t like about the dress is the front panel.  I like the way it looks, but it floats all around and bunches up and it makes the dress generally impractical for walking, sitting or moving at all.  But if you fuss with it, then stand perfectly still, you can take some nice photos of it.  I did find other people complaining about this same issue… but only after I sewed mine.  I am thinking of ways to keep the front panel from floating and bunching.  The only thing I can think of at the moment is sewing a knit fabric to the back of the dress (the part under the circle skirt) – It would also have the added bonus of covering my bum because this dress feels really strange to sit down in.  Because the back panel separates, it feels (but thankfully, it doesn’t look) like you are completely exposing your rear.

Anyone have any other suggestions for tacking down the panels?  I know a TON of people have made the dress, so  I am hoping someone has a good solution.  Other than total impracticality caused by the bunching issue, I really love the dress.

More on my blog.

{ 28 comments }

I have been reading We Sew Retro for years now and I am happy to have my first post.  This is Vogue 2960 (pattern cover on page in link)

This is actually the second time I have made this pattern. I have been sewing for about two years and this was one of the first patterns I tried to make.  It was a disaster.  There were instructions for bound button holes and I found that you have to already know how to do them to understand what to do.  It took me so long to make this the first time and the result was a barely wearable dress that only hangs in the back of my closet.  I am much happier with the results this time.

It was really nice to be able to see how much I have learned since I started sewing.  I understood so much more and was so much faster sewing it.  The instructions are still terrible, but I wasn’t stopped in my tracks by them.  I owe a lot to the sewing classes I have taken online.

By the way… the photos are Photoshopped.  I don’t live anywhere that nice.  I was in front of a green screen.  You can still see the green tint on the bottom of the dress from the light reflecting off of the green floor I was standing on.  So, I am better at sewing, but still mediocre at Photoshop.

Thanks for reading.  I am so happy to have written my first post!  More on my blog.

 

{ 11 comments }