I have wanted an emerald evening dress since I saw Keira Knightley’s stunning silk one in the film “Atonement”. I used Vintage Vogue 2859 after searching for a 1930′s style pattern and made a few design alterations- I added fullness to the skirt, cut on the bias and made a waist/hip sash. My tutorial for the pattern alterations is on my blog here, and more pics of my gorgeous sister modelling the dress are here, she saw it when she was visiting and wanted to wear it- lucky me for such great pictures!
I missed the Great Gatsby Challenge but couldn’t stop thinking about making a Daisy inspired dress. I loved all the colours Casey Mulligan wore in the movie and had some pinky prints and solids in my stash. I used the Burdastyle double layer dress pattern I had already assembled for my Downton dress but this time without adding a sash so it was more flapper-esque. Here is one of the gorgeous costumes I was inspired by, but you can see more at my blog thehollywoodsew.com
I wanted to make an “American Horror Story: Coven” inspired dress for Halloween that could be worn on other occasions too. I chose the vintage 1940′s pattern Butterick 5152 and made it up in some black poly chiffon. I had originally wanted to use burnout velvet but because of the cost I decided to try hand painting onto the chiffon instead but it didn’t take. Full story of my chiffon painting mishaps here! I like this pattern, particularly the gathers and the cuff sleeves and intend to make another in velvet for loungewear.
I still have to hem it (was in a rush to be ready for Halloween) and I think the dress needs to be styled with less witchy shoes to be wearable all year round, but it worked great with my lace-up boots and a veil for Halloween. The veil is polka dot mesh and was inspired by the promo pic of Jessica Lange which you can see in my inspiration post. I just cut the size I wanted, leaving the edges raw and secured with bobby pins.
More spooky pics and close-ups on my blog thehollywoodsew.com
I am totally in love with this print, even after staring at it the last few nights to make it in time for the Project Sewn signature style reader challenge. I used the bodice from Simplicity 6123 view B but with no sleeves which I had in my stash and the skirt was self drafted as I had already made a custom pencil skirt block that fit me better than the simplicity 6123 one. I lined the dress with a seafoam polyester lining, to go with the accent seafoam in the botanical print. I cut a size 10 in the bodice and the fashion fabric is cotton.
I was inspired by this gorgeous hot pink Betty Draper dress:
You can see my more pics and construction details here at my blog The Hollywood Sew!