tanya maile

Hello!  I just finished this dress the other day for the Fall for Cotton challenge.  It is a vintage reproduction pattern from 1954 (Vintage Vogue 2960).

I made this dress out of cotton seersucker and lined the bodice with swiss cotton dot.  I made a self fabric belt with a vintage pearl-ish buckle from my grandma’s notion stash that almost perfectly matches my buttons.  I’m wearing this with my lightweight summer petticoat made of cotton muslin that you can kind of see as I twirling around with the skirt before the photo was taken. :)

1954 Seersucker Picnic Dress

This dress blended together a lot of things that I have been clamoring for in my closet, like seersucker, a patriotic dress, gingham (orcheck?), and more 50′s garments to parade around in.

Happy Sewing!

 

 

 

PS There are more photos and info on my blog!

{ 6 comments }

This year I finally made up my mind to create a historically correct 1920′s outfit for the Art Deco Society of California’s Gatsby Summer Afternoon in Oakland, California.  This Art Deco picnic was held at the Dunsmuir Hellman Historic Estate and the attire is daywear from 1920-1940 (the Art Dcco period of course!).  It is a living history event with no spectators as everyone is a participant.

Gatsby Summer Afternoon

I made not only my outfit, but my husbands’ as well, even venturing into hat-making, which is a pursuit that I have never delved into before.  My dress is a seafoam green floral poly chiffon with a yellow crepe back satin slip.  It’s made using Vogue 2535, a 1928 design pattern that is out of print.

Vintage Vogue 2535, Original 1928 Design

I added a sash out of my slip fabric and fabric rosettes made from my dress fabric.  I love this pattern and it’s very comfortable to wear, even with synthetic fabrics and a hot afternoon.  The cape is most definitely my favorite feature and I also love the handkerchief hemline.

My hat is a 1920′s garden party hat made with maize silk dupioni and a buckram base.    The sash is the same yellow fabric I used for my slip and I added vintage silk millinery flowers.  I used Butterick 4697, a “Making History” pattern that is also out of print.

Butterick 4697

As a history scholar, I try to get my vintage repro outfits historically correct.  I am ….mostly …. with the exception that I could not find any crocheted gloves in time and my lace glovemaking pursuits were futile.  Also, it was very hot that day and I couldn’t stand wearing my seam-back pantyhose….. I think stockings and garters are the way to go!

If 1920′s men’s patterns were readily available I would have used them for my husbands’ outfit, unfortunately they are not easy to find.  Fortunately, men’s fashion has not changed much in the last 100 years, so I improvised.  My husband’s shirt is McCalls 2447 and is made of blue Burberry herringbone stripe shirting.  It has collar stays and French cuffs with vintage blue sapphire cufflinks that were my grandpa’s (which of course, you can’t see!).  His vest is Vogue 8497 (out of print) and is made of navy cotton poplin with vintage metal buttons and lined with striped shirting.  His trousers are vintage from a thrift store.  I bought him a 1920s vintage silk foulard tie with a geometric design, but what do ya know?  I forgot to pack it….

His golf cap is Vogue 8869 and is made of a black/midnight blue wool coating from my stash.

Overall it was such a great day, albeit HOT, and we are already planning for next year!  I’d like to make Vogue 2535 in a silk/cotton voile and use some contrasts.  I have in mind making my husband a seersucker suit, so if anyone knows of any great vintage suit patterns, please let me know!

Mr. and Mrs. Hughes at the Gatsby Summer Afternoon

Happy Sewing!

 

 

 

More details and photos from this event on my blog.

{ 12 comments }

Hello fellow vintage sewists!

Just stopping by to share my latest creation using Retro Butterick 5748, a pattern reissue from 1960.

Retro Butterick 5748 in tangerine and ivory eyelet

I made this out of tangerine cotton eyelet shirting that has butterfly print border and ivory floral eyelet.  My tangerine eyelet was in a Fabric Mart bundle, so I was working with limited yardage (2 1/2 yds) and had to be very careful to be able to cut out the circle skirt.  I barely had enough left to make the bow on the bodice!  I cut the skirt out of the solid part of the eyet and then cut the border and sewed in on to the hem.  I ended up with only a couple of small scraps left after this project!

Tangerine cotton eyelet shirting

Ivory cotton eyelet

I used ivory cotton eyelet for the bodice and also made a tie sash out of it as well.  I lined my dress with white cotton batiste and made a light summer petticoat with Simplicity 5006 in white cotton muslin.

Retro Butterick 5748 in tangerine/ivory cotton eyelet

I just love this dress!  This is the second time that I’ve used this pattern and it goes together quickly.  It’s perfect for summer and mine is light and airy and twirl-worthy. :)

Definitely twirl-worthy!

 

Happy Sewing!

 

 

 

{ 11 comments }

Hello fellow vintage sewists!

This is one of my latest retro creations made using Retro Butterick 5748.  I wanted something quick and easy to make and this fitted the bill.  I also had this lovely blue and white cotton lawn in my stash and it worked quite well to make this dress.  I lined it with cotton batiste and the combo makes this quite breathy and comfortable.  I didn’t change anything from the pattern other than adding a faux belt of blue grosgrain ribbon.  This is definitely a dress I will make again!

Pardon the photobombing border collie….. :)

Retro Butterick 5748 1960 sundress in blue/white jungle print cotton lawn

Retro Butterick 5748 1960 sundress in blue/white jungle print cotton lawn

 

Happy Sewing!!

{ 6 comments }