silverstah

Earlier this month, I posted the first of the toiles I made up for our upcoming production of ‘Fallen Angels’ – an adorable little mid-30′s dress, made using a vintage pattern.  Remember? 

Well, since then we had an initial fitting on the actress – there were some modifications that had to be made, which wasn’t surprising.  The original pattern was quite a bit smaller than the actress (not uncommon for vintage patterns), so I had to grade it up a fair amount.  Today was the final fitting – and it’s going to look great on stage!  All that’s left is the final hem – marked here with safety pins.  The fabric is a printed silk broadcloth – buttery soft and so easy to work with.  The drape of the skirt when it’s on a real person is amazing!

More photos on my blog!

{ 4 comments }

 

 

In this post I shared the toile I made up using Vogue 8767 – a late 30′s jacket and dress combo.  The fitting on the actress went beautifully – the only thing I had to do was nip the jacket in at the waist a little bit.

Done in a lightweight silk jacquard – which was great for the dress, but proved to be far too thin for the jacket.  I ended up using fusible lightweight interfacing on the front and back peplum pieces, and flat-lined the body and sleeves to some medium-weight lining fabric.  It seems to have given the jacket enough body and structure.  Hooray!

And: just for fun, all of the toiles hanging out together before the fittings earlier this week.  (The fifth is on a hanger in the back – not enough dress forms!)  They look like a lively bunch, eh? :)

 

 

 

 

 

 

{ 8 comments }

I DO actually have some finished pieces… not just muslin toiles! ;)

This dress was created for the character of Fraulein Schneider in a local university production of ‘Cabaret’.  Although the play is set in 1930/31, I decided to set F. Schneider’s fashion in the mid 20′s – she’s a working class woman, older, and would certainly not be as fashionable as the 19-year old Sally Bowles. :)

The pattern had to be graded up for the actress – which really isn’t that much work for these 20′s dresses. :)  I used some vintage lace details at the cuff and bodice to bring the dress into the world of the play:

(The ratty jacket in the back is for a different play!)

More photos at my blog, here!

{ 7 comments }

I promise, at some point, these will actually get made up in the actual fabric. :)  I have five toiles to complete, for two actresses – it makes sense to get them all finished and just do a single fitting, as opposed to bringing the actresses in for multiple fittings.  But I AM getting tired of muslin…

And, the toile:

 

 

I’m glad that I did the finishing work on this one, as well – the finishing on the neck plackets was a little weird.  I’m having so much fun experimenting with these vintage patterns!

More photos at my blog, here!

 

 

{ 13 comments }