Shaysierae

 

Whoa! I know I just posted yesterday about finishing a dress but the past week has been a very productive one for me and I was able to complete a project that I had gotten half-way through and just wasn’t able to finish at the time! This dress is made out of a wonderful blue cotton from Vintage Vogue V8875 :) This was my first time working with a Vintage Vogue repro pattern and while it presented some interesting challenges and techniques I hadn’t tried before I must say I am pleased with the result!                                                    

  

I also wanted to share a few vintage treasures that I recently acquired! A close friends grandmother passed away and she was left with boxes of old sewing things like patterns, notions, and fabric. When she asked if there was anything I would like since she wanted to see it go to someone who would get use out of it I of course said yes! I came home with boxes of stuff and I thought you’d like to see some of it :) Feel free to swing by my blog frillz24.blogspot.com for more pictures and details!

{ 2 comments }

So I finally got around to making a wearable muslin of my “Ladies 1958 Party Dress” by Sense & Sensibility Patterns! I highly recommend this pattern to any newbie or experienced sewer! It was a dream to work with and very easy to alter. The full gathered skirt, and kimono-sleeved bodice are just wonderful! So comfortable and versatile this is the kind of pattern you can make either as fancy or as casual as you’d like it to be!

 

For my wearable muslin I used this great peach linen-blend fabric that I picked up at Hancock Fabrics on sale for 3.00 a yard! For the belt I just used some mint cotton broadcloth and fusible interfacing with some snaps on the back :) Find more details on my blog http://frillz24.blogspot.com/

 

 

 

 

{ 1 comment }

I have been absent for some time in the sewing community, This year has just proven to be way too busy but :) I am getting back into the swing of things with…. 16 vintage inspired skirts :) I don’t have a picture of every single one of them but I can say the few that I do have I am incredibly proud of. I was contacted by a local shop a few months back to create some vintage inspired skirts for them and to be honest I was so incredibly nervous! I made so many little silly mistakes on my first few that I had to go back and fix I was ready to pull my hair out and give up! I took a deep breath, picked out my stitches and kept on truckin! The end result…16 beautiful skirts that I can be proud of.

I created my gored skirts using Gertie's New Book for Better Sewing pattern and they turned out beautiful!

The fabrics I used were a mixture of vintage and modern :) I created 4 of each style in an A-line, Gored, Drindl, and Pencil and I could not be prouder…I even have a few with lapped zippers! A technique that has often eluded me in the past! For more pictures and details check out my blog at http://frillz24.blogspot.com/

Not the best picture of all of them but it does give you a good general idea of what they all look like!

As always thanks to all of you contributors for being such amazing inspirations!

 

 

 

{ 0 comments }

This post is going to be short and sweet because the writing sector of my brain isn’t quite cooperating with me at the moment. I have had these 2 vintage bedsheets sitting in my stash for quite a while so I thought today that I would pull them out and get creative with them! The first is a self-drafted circle skirt I used what I think is a vintage curtain panel but it may be a top sheet I am not 100% sure (I think that both fabrics are probably late 60′s to 70′s) and for the contrasting waistband I just used some pretty yellow broadcloth I bought yesterday on a whim because it was on sale. :) Love when things like that work out! It is a bit springy…but I think with a pair of darker tights, a pretty blue cardigan it will make a nice fall skirt due to the fact that the fabric is actually quite heavy for a top sheet.

The 2nd project was also a self drafted pattern that I used a pair of pajama pants that I have and made a fun bright pair of pajamas with! These are super light, soft, and comfy and I have some more of this material left over so I may make a matching top or a pair of pajama shorts since I worry that this much print would be overwhelming. :) At the end of the day I am really happy with both of these projects and excited that they turned out well without any problems :) .

 

I think that I am getting the hang of this whole sewing thing! I have a lot of exciting things happening on the horizons which I will be blogging/posting about in the weeks to come. I just want to say a big thanks to all of the wonderful contributors on this site that have really inspired me and given me the courage and strength to keep at it! :)

{ 4 comments }