1940s | Dresses

Teacups and 40s

By on September 2, 2013

I always enjoy collecting fabrics with quirky prints. Sometimes it’s flamingos, sometimes it’s terriers… So no wonder I bought 3mt of a fabric with thick lines made of piles of teacups the minute I saw it!

But the urge to sew a 1940s inspired dress out of a fabric filled with unwashed dishes?… That was quite new even for me 🙂

1940s dress and teacups

I had in mind a pattern with  some gather on the shoulders but quite tight a the waist.

Actually I was aiming for a look like this:

Unfortunately I did not have such pattern. So I improvised a little using a rather dull blouse pattern from BurdaStyle :

into this:

Apparently I got rid of the collar first; then gave a V shape to it. Then I lengthened the skirt.

And finally… of course I had to pose with a cup! 🙂

What do you think? Does it look like a real retro dress even with the pile of dirty cups? 😉

join me on my blog for more photos on this project: http://www.kendindik.com/2013/08/biriken-bulasiklar.html

Continue Reading

Vintage Sewing

Ending the Summer with a Serious Flamingo Dress!

By on September 13, 2012

v2961 flamingo dress 1950 fashion 50s design vogue vintage pattern 2961

Oh how I adored this fabric when I first set my eyes on it! I couldn’t decide for months on which pattern would be better to use with my beloved flamingos.

I finally decided to use another awesome vintage pattern reprint from Vogue – a v2961.

The real awesomeness of this dress is that it was quite easy to sew and looks perfect when finished. Although it was a moderately easy pattern, the dress looks really elegant when finished. I mean, as elegant as any dress covered up with flamingos would look 😛

The pattern I used for this dress is one of Vogue Vintage collections. The v2961 was originally published in 1953 and it’s a classic 50s fashion with tight bodice and a poodle skirt.

vogue vintage elbise kalıpları


I must say, for the novice sewing enthusiasts the only challenging detail will be the bound buttonholes at the front. Evet I first thought of placing an invisible zipper on the side and sewing the buttons just as accessories. But then I decided to stick with the original pattern and see how it’ll turn out. I did not make bound buttonholes though – as suggested – and just made regular buttonholes.

vogue 2961 1950s dress patterns

The fitted top was so easy to make, despite the boning detail. I fitted the bodice like a glove very easily. To be honest, the bodice pattern has only 2 darts at the front and 2 at the back and was much easier to make and fitted much better, compared to other more complicated patterns with similar look.

Sewing the buttons on the bodice was the easy part. I did spend some time in trying to figure out how to do the same thing on the skirt. The instructions were quite complicated for me, as I was doing this for the first time.

I cut the upper front of the skirt pieces same as trousers pattern. I then stitched a paper-like interlining on the extra bits and then fold it into two in order to open buttonholes neatly.

I can go on living my happy ending with my flamingos…

I hope that you will also have your happy (sewing project ) ending soon… well, until the next one at least 🙂




Read more: http://sewingyourstyle.tumblr.com/post/28327592035/flamingo-dress#ixzz26KVKG6Dm

Continue Reading

1950s | Dresses

The “Flip Flop” Halter Dress Finished!

By on July 8, 2012

I fell in love with this pattern on the latest issue of BurdaStyle, which they first published in May 1950!

The original pattern has a halter neckline and a circle skirt. I edited the skirt a bit to get a more flattering shape for my body type

Sewing is seriously getting more easier than shopping for me… Think about it: you first go on window shopping, make a list of the items you loved, then limit your choices with your budget, find a dress that you’d adore – which would also fit exactly your size and body shape… blablablaaa… Whereas this gorgeous dress took me a day to finish and cost around 5 EUROS!


When I sewed the lining, I realize that I wasn’t very good at installing the triangular part neatly. So I decided to cut the front band into two and sew them separately on the bust. But even that did not solve my problem; I ended up having a crooked look on the bust. However, the dress turned out so great that no one can notice it, unless they look closely.

Join me on my blog for more lessons learnt notes and photos on this project: http://sewingyourstyle.tumblr.com

Continue Reading

1960s | Dresses

Another Retro Mission is Over!

By on April 11, 2012
Butterick 6582 retro dress

I finally finished my retro dress from Butterick patterns B6582. I’ll be honest with you. Although the illustrations on the pattern envelope of elegant feminine look of 60s do get you excited about buying this pattern, you don’t get that retro look when your project is finished. Or maybe, it’s just me lacking the elegancy 🙂

Butterick 6582 retro dress

Still, my love for black and white dresses made me enjoy this dress a lot, with or without the retro vibe 🙂

The detail I liked most about this dress was the V-shaped back. It’s probably the only original detail that remained from the B6582 pattern 🙂 Rest of the dress was full of alterations. Read more in sewingyourstyle.tumblr.com for the step-by-step information and for more photos on this project.

butterick 6582 sewing steps

happy sewing!

Continue Reading