Sewingthe60s

It’s Sunday, and I have to go back to work tomorrow after 10 relaxing days off! But happily I think this has been the most productive work break in a while! 

On Friday, just for funsies I whipped up a new dress so I could have something to wear to my first day back at work tomorrow. Something to help ease back into the work week that was fun and easy that I knew would fit without any problems, and here she is Simplicity 7436!

{ 8 comments }

Today I have my latest sewing project to show you!

[click to continue…]

{ 5 comments }

Ooh my it’s been awhile since I’ve posted an actual project!

This item is a reproduction of Biba’s Pink Gingham dress

{ 9 comments }

How nice it is to finish projects - especially those which are so simple and leave you feeling like an expert! 

This sewing project was an aim to get back to the simpleness of sewing and 60s design. A shift dress with contrasting collar and cuffs. No fussy bows or ruffles, just plain, simple and easy. 

Something reminiscent of the mid-60s. A simple silhouette which suited many, and which was so different to the dresses of the previous years. A Peter Pan collar to recall the clothing of their childhood and cuffs to balance.
After recent stressful occurrences in my life, doing something so basic is refreshing. Being able to be in control of something and knowing exactly how it will look in the end is awesome! 

Especially when sewing with Double knit, oh double knit, how I love thee! Let me count the ways! Its comfy to wear, forgives small mistakes and has a nice amount of stretch. (unlike the now un-trust worthy Lurex…)
  
However – there cannot be blue sky without rain. Everything was going along swimmingly until the hem where my machine kept skipping stitches, I’m not sure why that was. I changed the needle, checked the tension, re-threaded the machine and yet it still skipped. When I made a test on some cotton fabric it was fine. I’ll most likely unpick the machine stitches and hand-hem it later on.

Why must you forsake me machine!!!
The pattern I used was Butterick 4772 - I drafted the collar and cuffs, though now that I look at it, I should have tried to balance the width of the collar and cuffs a bit better.

The cuffs are fairly simple, though I didn’t put them on the way I should have. Why not you might ask, well it may be because I’d had a few wines before leaving work that day….

Here’s a tip – sewing while drunk/tipsy is not a good idea. It makes you lazy

They look okay though! 
I’m going to have many a fun times wearing this dress I think. Sensible enough for work and dressy enough for a night out. 
Cat xo

{ 22 comments }