Vintage Sewing

1936 Dressing Gown

By on September 8, 2017

Of all the vintage garments I’ve sewn, this dressing gown has the best combo of elegance and usefulness that I have come across!  I used a polyester jacquard, in a rich burgundy with a flowing drape like a rayon, and fully lined it in a crepe finish lining.   My pattern was easy to make and is generally well fitting – it’s a re-print of a German design offered through “Repeated Originals” on Etsy. There is an arched waist seam, wide bell sleeves, and two filigree metal clasps to close the asymmetric bodice wrap.  For more on what a dressing robe is, as well as more pictures and details, please visit my blog post for this make.  This was part of my wardrobe for a recent trip (yes, I made sure to have a vacation in handmade vintage) and the poster behind is an original 1929 paint ad!

Continue Reading

Vintage Sewing

1947 Dress for India’s Independence Day

By on August 15, 2017

Today, August 15, 2017, now marks 70 years since India and Pakistan have had their Independence, and I made a dress which can help me commemorate this event in history.  I used a circa 1947 Marian Martin #9208 vintage original pattern with a border printed rayon challis as the fabric.  I had fun figuring out just how to align the border print inside the asymmetric panels to the design so it would look like a sari in the front, and made an extra sash to drape from one shoulder and hang from a loop at the waist band of the opposite side.  For more pictures and details, please visit my blog’s post (link here) for this project!

Continue Reading

1920s | Accessories | Bags / Purses | Blouses | Embroidery | Hats | Skirts | Vintage Sewing

A 1920 Ensemble

By on March 15, 2017

This outfit is my foray into the world of the late teens and early 20’s.  I used two patterns from Past Patterns, dated to circa 1920, for both my blouse and skirt, while my purse was made from a tapestry remnant and Vogue #7252, from the year 2000.  My hat is a thrift store find which I decorated to make-do and my shoes are close reproductions from Jeffrey Campbell.  I used primarily cotton for all pieces – even thread!  There are so many fine details to this set – the blouse has my hand-stitched floral designs on the neck, shoulders, and sleeves while I used old original glass teens/20’s era buttons for the front closure of the blouse.  There are real brass buttons along the pocket panel of the skirt…and check out those awesomely enormous pockets as big as mini suitcases!  My background was one of the very first “arcade” indoor shopping malls in our country, a lovely Gothic place built in 1919.  To see and read more, please visit my blog post here.

Save

Continue Reading

Vintage Sewing

“Orange Flower” Sheer Cotton Dress

By on January 16, 2017

Ok, this might not technically be vintage, but it is certainly chock full of retro style.  So I went with the 30’s feel of one of the views and made a great warm weather dress out of a sheer floral cotton.  I used Butterick’s #5951, from year 2013.

I had problems with the fit of this pattern, especially the sleeves, but with the help of an added underarm gusset this dress is a success.  Especially since I squeezed this in with having just under two yards of fabric to work with!

To see and read more please visit my blog’s page for this project here.

Continue Reading

Vintage Sewing

1940 Sundress

By on June 30, 2016

This is a great dress, nice to wear, but it was hard to get it to the point where I liked it.  The dress was easy to make but there were a lot of little things to adjust, especially the bust gathers.  Eventually, I ended up top-stitching the gathers down so that it is like mock-shirring.  A Vintage Vogue reprint from 1940 (#8812) was the pattern used and some blue/tan/white plaid poly from my stash was the fabric.  To see and read more, please visit my blog page here.100_2875-comp

Continue Reading

1950s

Madras Plaid Unusual-Front Shirt

By on June 15, 2016

This shirt was made for my hubby out of a vintage year 1956 pattern, Butterick #7673. It has a neat and very different “two button horizontal closing” which opens up the collar at the neck to allow it over the head.

100_6215a-comp

Surprisingly, for my part in making it, hubby’s shirt was so easy to make and required very little fabric (less than two yards) – on his end he loves the soft madras cotton, the subtle details, and comfy fit. To see and read more, please visit my blog page for my project here.

combo detail pic-comp

Continue Reading