Kristin

After discovering a bit about Ulyana Sergeenko and her designs, I decided I wanted to do my own take on one of her outfits, and this is my first result!

For the top, I used a pattern envelope from the 1950s as inspiration, Simplicity 4538. I didn’t have the actual pattern, but it looked easy enough to sew the two ends together. The other seam is across the back to form the yoke, but it stops so you have room for the arms. It was easy enough and it took me about 10-20 minutes to figure everything out.

As for the skirt, I drafted my own circle skirt from 2 yards of fabric. I put in a pocket on one side and a zipper on the other.

I have more details here on my blog.

{ 2 comments }

I made a cape and so far it’s perfect and I love it!

I used Vogue 6032 from 1963 and I used a charcoal wool with purple satin lining. It’s fairly warm, except for the no-sleeves bit so it’s perfect for the spring now that it’s starting to warm up.

I had a bit of trouble converting all the hand stitching in the pattern instructions to my new serger (as I’m fairly inexperienced with both hand-stitching and serging), but I think it came out really well.

It took a bit of practice to get used to walking with my arms out front instead of to the sides, but really it’s like going out with a fashionable blanket on so how can you go wrong??

More construction details and pictures on my blog.

{ 12 comments }


I’m obsessed with The Hour, an incredible show set int the 1960s, and this is the first dress (hopefully of many!) that I’ll be recreating from the show.

The inspiration:

This is a heavyweight cotton fabric with a fun lace print. I used Bluegingerdoll’s Billie Jean pattern for the dress.

It was originally an off-the-shoulder dress which I modified so I could wear a regular bra with it. I also added a larger vent so I could walk easier and faster.

This was such a quick sew and it turned out so well! You can read more and see more pictures on my blog.

{ 2 comments }

I feel like I’ve been working on this swimsuit all summer and I’m so glad I’m finally done. (And a little sad I don’t have more time to wear it this season!)

I wanted a retro bikini and I found that in Ohhh Lulu’s Ginger Bodysuit. I didn’t change anything to the pattern, and while there are a few modifications I was too lazy to make, it turned out incredible and I love it.

I attempted to match the stripes and for the most part they’re great. There are a few bits where it just couldn’t happen and I needed to recut to make them match, but that wasn’t going to happen.

And of course, I couldn’t resist once I had my retro bikini, and I just had to do the victory rolls in my hair. I felt so glamorous. I’m pretty sure this is the only proper way to wear this swimsuit out in public.

Victory rolls + red lipstick + homemade swimsuit = instant elegance (at least in your head!)

Blogged here.

{ 9 comments }