Ruby June

1941 Coat

by Ruby June on February 11, 2014 · 18 comments

in 1940s,Coats,Vintage Sewing

Hi everyone! I haven’t posted on here in a couple of months, but for good reason. I’ve been busy working on a WWII-era coat. I’m talking knee-length, heavy weight, filly-lined and warm coat. I am thrilled with how it turned out…from the lovely shoulder dart detailing, to the added on welt pockets. It was constructed from a vintage nylon felt fabric, faux fur, and lined with a salmon satin heavy lining.

I am not going to lie, this is my first coat project and I did experience some difficulty (mainly space-wise) in putting it together. It took me over a month to complete, due to hand attaching the lining and whatnot, but it was totally worth it. I will definitely use this pattern again in the (probably quite distant) future!

 

Please feel free to head over to my blog, to read more about this adventure and see more pictures! Thanks for reading!

{ 18 comments }

Hi everyone, thought I would share with you, my New Year’s dress. This was my first time working with charmeuse and a more complex sewing pattern involving shirring. I’ve been sewing for five years now, but have put off challenging myself for some time. I decided to break the routine, so to speak, with this dress.

I’ve been looking for something to put in my wardrobe with more detailing and I believe this is it! I love late 30′s fashion because of the details so I was happy I could pull this off. I did run into bumps along the way…and was frustrated with the fabric during the entirety of the completion of this project. But, I am so happy with it now and it was worth every difficulty!

I’m very excited about this dress and how it turned out. It has definitely opened more possibilities, since it involved tackling two things I was concerned about. Here’s to the New Year…and overcoming challenges!

Feel free to head over to my blog, for more pictures and details on this fabulous dress!

{ 8 comments }

It’s been about two months since I last posted anything on here…but they have been some of the busiest months I have ever experienced! I’ve been trying to set aside time for myself to sew something here and there, even if it’s just small steps to completing a project. These small time increments have fortunately proved to be a success, since I managed to complete two dresses.

 


The first dress is a vintage cotton, in a sort of oxblood red. It features shoulder darts, an empire waistline, and black cord-ribbon accenting (with black buttons as well). The second dress is made from an organic bamboo rayon jersey. I used a contrasting cream collar and buttons from some vintage broadcloth my grandmother gave me. It was my first time working with jersey and although not as bad as I had anticipated, I did still run into a couple of problems (mainly the stretch-stitch taking forever).

Anyway, feel free to pop on over to my blog, more details and pictures on these dresses here.

Anyone have some tips for how they work with jersey fabrics? I do not own a twin needle or walking foot sadly, but they are on my list to purchase at some point.

{ 11 comments }

I thought I would share my Halloween costume on here, which took roughly 9 hours to put together. I get super into this holiday every year, as it’s my favourite…

I wanted to create a late 1930′s Snow White, making up something that a girl back then would have put together! I used Simplicity 3152, dark navy velvet for the bodice, cream linen for the skirt and sleeves, and a pale yellow chiffon overlay on the skirt. I also threw in some detailing here and there. I am in love with how it turned out!

I’m entering a costume contest with this tonight…so here’s hoping I win!

For more information or to see more pretty pictures, please head over to http://thespindleandspoon.blogspot.com/2013/10/costume-finished.html

Thanks for reading and Happy Halloween!!

{ 6 comments }