Reika

Flowery Skirt

by Reika on July 17, 2014 · 4 comments

in 1950s

Hello!

 

It’s been a while :D

Lately I haven’t been able to sew a lot except for a prom dress that wasn’t for me unfortunately. But today I finally managed to make some time for a quick dirndl skirt.

Nothing much to explain, really. It has a simple button and zip closure on the side, it’s made out of two rectangles and the hem measures 158” in length.

Hope you like it :)

(Sorry for the messy room and the low quality of the pics. I live under the roof and the temperatures were already somewhere in the 90°F’s so I didn’t want to open the curtains and windows to let the heat/sun in :( )

 

 

So far so good.

I fell in love with the print when I saw it in the fabric store. Sadly there were only about 3yards left so I couldn’t make much out of it.

- Reika

{ 4 comments }

Floral Dress

by Reika on May 27, 2014 · 9 comments

in Vintage Sewing

Hello you lovely people!

I recently re-discovered one of my long forgotten dresses in my wardrobe.

I’m pretty sure I’ve sewn this last year in summer but never got around to wear it :/

The dress is made with a cotton blend and fully lined, pattern was made by me and you can button on the straps in the back. The zip is one sided and in the back.

I really hope you like it :)

Have a lovely rest of the week!

I’m on holiday for the rest of the week so I hope I will be able to squeeze in some serious sewing work :D

 

Love,

Reika

{ 9 comments }

Dancing Skirt

by Reika on April 22, 2014 · 10 comments

in Vintage Sewing

Hello everyone!

Since I don’t have to work on easter holiday (retail, derp…) I finally had some time to reduce this gigantic pile of fabric under my bed.

So I made a skirt! :D

It is inspired by Tara Starlet and is made out of linen. And that is the one and only reason I didn’t iron the skirt. It would’ve been all wrinkly once I’d put it on anyway…meh :/

It is lined and I used french seams and bias tape. The button closure isn’t  provided in the original pattern, so I added it on my own. The pattern is from McCall, but I can’t remember the number. I will edit the post once I find out. It is definitely a modern pattern.

I don’t have anyone to take a picture of me, so I had to build my own tripod out of my ironing board and a few books, so excuse the angle and the quality, please!

And some details:

That’s it :) I hope you like it!

- Reika

{ 10 comments }

Hello!

Long time, no see :)

In the past few weeks I’ve been incredibly busy with school but I managed to take a break from learning and squeezed this cute capripants in my schedule. The pattern I used is Gertie’s Butterick 5895 which doesn’t seem to be very popular. That I don’t really understand because the pattern is amazing! It leaves so many options to adjust the trousers to your liking.

For example, I made heart shaped pockets for the back and sewed a one-sided zip (I hope that’s what you call it in English :/ ) in the back. The waistband is a tad bit wider than the pattern suggests but that is okay (only about 1/2”) and in the end I wish I had made beltloops…well, next time!

I will make one more adjustments at the hems. I plan on tightening them around the knee area and sew slits on each side, so they’re more summery.

The top is Butterick 4685 which I shortened to waist-lenght.

Fabrics:

Pants: denim-stretch

Shirt: Cottonblend (used for blouses)

(whoops forgot to take out some basting stitches ;P )

Hope you like them :)

{ 16 comments }