pumpener

Hey YAWLL!
It’s been a long time, well ive actually made something wearable but unfortunately its not for me its for my boyf as a valentines prezzie awww. <3
I used kwik sew 3506 i cut a medium it was massive i took in a couple of inches. the most annoying bit was the facings-i get mixed up with them alot left right front back confusion. as it was valentines and i wanted to put my stamp on it, i tried to stitch I <3 U on the inner pocket flap.
does anyone know of a good book to help the drafting of muslins, converting measurements to drafted clothing? and not hating the fabrics i have thats a big problem for me. but i feel newly inspired by all the gorgeous pieces that you ladies are creating :)

hope to see you all soon

{ 4 comments }

⁃ Fabric: some cheap cotton blend thing that should have been better used just as a toile, as i know the weight of the fabric is not really conducive to wearable garments-as i have made a top out of this stuff before. Dont worry i wont do it again. As you will notice from my  pics, there is a red and orange in my blouse, i didnt have enough red and i figured the orange will contrast-but it really looks to washed out. (shrug)

⁃ Pattern: free burda peplum blouse in wrong size so i had to grade up (i dont know how to grade?)

⁃ Year: modern 1940′s style blouse

⁃ Notions: 2 yellow buttons (i only have an assortment of yellow buttons so i am kind of limited. Although after showing my bf my finished blouse he so sensitively told me that the yellow buttons were different shades -dammmm you.

⁃ Time to complete: 8 months or some horrible timeframe like that, it has literally plagued my thoughts, like well the plague. I stopped. started.stopped.moved house.started. The areas of most annoyance were the sizing, creating a button opening and the gathered sleeves-it literally took me 4 hours to do the 1 sleeve so it didnt look cack.

⁃ First worn: after making it, after all that grading up its still too big in the waist and the back is shorter, so not great without a cinch belt

⁃ Wear again? hmm, i dont know.

⁃ Total price: bought some new red thread, everything else already had or was given – like a chisel set that im using for buttonhole slicing.

 

Well it took me awhile, but i did survive and finish it. Yes it has alot of mistakes but im just taking this as just one big learning curve.

- What I learnt:

Dont be over-ambitious, messing about with tricky details

Your size-This pattern was from the burda magazine, not my size! but you know how it is you fall in ove with a pattern arghhh. so grading up i thought would be as simple as adding some inches, WRONG! I had to add a front portion to the top as it was initially a blouse-buttons up front-so it really looks nothing like the original pattern/style picture. So please dont run before you can walk – buy for your measurements. it will only lead to massive frustration.

I did pick up the iron alot more,i love this quote ”if you dont have time to iron, you dont have time to sew”

Im not cutting corners as much anymore, using more interfacing web and ive used bias tape for the first time.

Im getting over my miser tendancies, yay. So im going to buy some proper toile-scouts honour.

A big thank you to all the peeps who post on wesewretro, you motivate and inspire me.xx

{ 1 comment }

How do fellow vintage sewers and crafters, i thought it was time to stop stalking the vintage sewing blogs and actually participate a bit, in a hope that it will make me continue to tackle my ever growing sewing project pile. My sewing skill is beginner/shitty intermediate and have completed a few projects but patterns can make me feel a tad dyslexic. Im certifiably insane about everything 1940′s and 50′s and am hoping to create a wardrobe around these impecible eras. enough jabbering, here is a snood i made last year with the help of a you tube video :p

Thank you to everyone on wesewretro for inspiring me and making it look so bloody easy that ive given it a go.xoxox

 

 

 

{ 3 comments }