1950s

My Wedding Dress – Channelling Grace Kelly

By on December 3, 2010

I got married earlier this year in March. I decided to make my own wedding dress, it was something I’d always wanted to do (plus it meant I could have the dress of my dreams at a relatively low cost).

My husband & I had our ceremony & reception at an old mansion in Melbourne, Australia. To fit in with the more traditional surroundings I went with a vintage inspired gown. I had always loved Grace Kelly’s gown & so when I saw Vogue Pattern V2979, I knew I what I wanted to make.

March in Melbourne can be very hot (40C) so I decided to make the short sleeved version. For the lace I picked a very light embroidered tulle. The rest of the dress was made in silk dupioni, (I wore a hoop skirt underneath to get the skirt to sit out nicely). I made a number of alterations, I moved the buttons to the rear of the dress, moved the front seam lines outwards slightly & then finally I replaced the lace underlining with a corset. Here are the pictures of the finished product, (these were taken by my photographer, you can visit their website here, I couldn’t have been happier with them).


Mum stitching the sash in place before the ceremony;


The view from behind;


Detail of the lace scallop;


Last, but not least, my favourite photo of all (the ‘Gone With The Wind shot’). The skirt has been bustled in this picture.


For more information, check out my blog.

Continue Reading

Introduction

Introduction

By on

My name is Steph & I’ve been looking around on Sew Retro for a while, so I thought I may as well contribute a few of my own projects. Whilst I make a bit of modern clothing, I often find myself drawn to designs from the 50’s & 60’s. I’m also very interested in some of the vintage construction techniques.

I’ve been sewing for about 6 years now. I started when I was in university because I wanted to make dresses to wear to balls & parties, (I didn’t have the money to buy them ready-made). I’ve really gotten into sewing in the last 2 or 3 years though.

I keep track of all of my projects on my blog, Orchids In May.

The above picture of me, was one of my most recent vintage projects, Vogue V1137. I made it using an embroidered wool. Whilst it was fairly simple to actually sew, it took FOREVER to cut out as I was trying to get the embroidery to match up perfectly at each of the seams. Overall I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.

Continue Reading