orchidsinmay

Can I start by saying I’m loving the new Sew Retro vintage sewing patterns board over at Pinterest?!

Without it, this dress would never have existed… ;)

You see, I recently was cruising around on Pinterest & found this pattern on the Sew Retro board;

And I thought that dress would be perfect to make & wear to a friend’s wedding. So that’s what I decided to do. It was all a bit last minute, but it worked out in the end.

Unfortunately I didn’t have a copy of Vogue 9061 on hand. But it wasn’t to hard to modify the pattern for a simple shift dress (I used Vogue V8146) & turn it into this pattern. I posted some basic instructions for how I did this on my blog, Orchids in May.

The fabric I used was from my husband’s late grandmother’s fabric collection. It’s a Thai silk that I think she brought back from Thailand many many years ago. Despite the age, the colour of the fabric is brilliant – the photos don’t do it justice. I don’t know if it was the age of the fabric but it was really fragile & a little tricky to sew with. I ended up using a Hong Kong finish on all of the seams because I was petrified of it just unravelling before my eyes.

I’m really happy with how this dress turned out. I’m still thinking of making some changes to the bow at the back – at the moment it looks a little limp, but otherwise I’m pretty happy.

 

{ 9 comments }

I made this dress using Vintage Vogue Pattern V2962. I made quite a few alterations to the pattern, I took a bit of the fullness out of the halter neck & the skirt. I’m still thinking I should have taken a little more out of the halterneck as it’s a little puffy. I also added a tie to the halterneck (the pattern suggests using a loop & button). Finally the pattern called for the dress to be closed with a heap of tiny buttons… I did that once for my wedding dress & never again. So I used a zip instead.

For more information check out my blog, Orchids In May

{ 3 comments }

I had an awards dinner to go to recently with a dress code of ‘black tie preferred’ so decided to make a new dress. I had some silver lace in my stash that I was really keen to use, so I decided to make a version of Vintage Vogue V8729.


I thought the skirt might be a little too full blown ball gown for the evening so I elimated it & turned the bodice into a pencil dress.

I still have plans to make the skirt from Vogue V8729 but to make it as a seperate piece so that the dress is a little more versatile.

For more info & pictures check out my blog, Orchids in May.

{ 2 comments }

For my birthday this year I decided to make a 50s/60s styled dress with full skirt. I also made a petticoat to go underneath. For more details, check out my blog, Orchids in May.

{ 10 comments }