Nabby

Hello, all! It’s been a few months since I’ve posted here; If you read my blog, you’ll know that I’ve been battling the most evil poison ivy known to man, and I haven’t been able to do much else! I’ve gotten it mostly under control now, so hopefully I will be able start posting more regularly. I made this ’30s bias-cut jumper using some beautiful soft wool from Hancock. I can never resist plaid wool; luckily, it was on clearance!

My fabric has quite a bit of stretch on the bias, which allowed me to eliminate a zipper. The shirt was made using a cream cotton, with fabric-covered buttons.  I made it using this pattern:

I did make a few changes, but only to the shirt: I moved the buttons from the back to the front, and I shortened the sleeves slightly. My arms, like the rest of me :) , are very short, and large sleeves that hit at the elbow are not very flattering on me. The matching buckle and button are vintage.

The jabot came to be after I attempted to make a tie while following the print of the plaid. It turned out to be much too large; the ends overlapped the neckline of the jumper, which made the entire outfit look messy to me. So I chopped off the ends, made a loop at the top, and ran a grosgrain ribbon through the loop. The button is purely decorative.

More pictures and details on my blog!

{ 10 comments }

Hello, Sailor!

by Nabby on March 10, 2012 · 12 comments

in 1930s,Children,Kids

Here is my little one’s outfit for Easter (if he doesn’t outgrow it before then)!

He had a store-bought sailor suit just like this one last year, and I loved it so much that I decided to make another one just like it for this year, using the old one as a pattern. It’s made from a navy cotton blend fabric. It was one of the rare times when I bought a fabric that wasn’t on sale, but that’s the beauty of these tiny outfits: they don’t require very much fabric!

Here is a picture of the old one; I took this photo before I hacked it to pieces. Just kidding! I just took apart all of the seams and used the pieces to make a pattern, adding a few inches to make it larger. It was actually easier than I expected it to be; easier even than working with an actual pattern, because I could see exactly how it all went together. My trim is a little bit simpler, and I added pockets in the front, because he is currently obsessed with them and now refuses to wear anything without pockets. The old one was also polyester. Aside from these small alterations, I really just copied the original.

I used some anchor buttons, which I thought were cute, but now I’m thinking that they look less vintage than the pearl buttons on the original. What do you think?

More photos on my blog!

{ 12 comments }

Hello, everyone! Well, this is my first time posting on the new and improved site, and I am loving it!
I made this dress for the Burns Supper that I hosted a few weeks ago.

The plaid parts started out as a huge vest from Goodwill, and the equally large red sweater dress was an etsy find:

I started by removing the sleeves in order to move the shoulders up and take in the sides. The sleeves were originally gathered at the shoulder, but I wanted the shoulders to lie flat for a smoother line down to the bell, so I put in a series of radiating darts. The sleeves were three-quarter length, so I cut off about six inches so I could add the lower parts. I reattached the sleeve band to the bottom, which I had gathered. I was very proud of the way these turned out; I had to do a lot of measuring (which is not my forte) and drafting, and they ended up exactly as I had planned, which is rare for me!
Luckily, it came with a tie belt, so I just cut it down and put a vintage buckle on it. I used the extra red material from the sleeves to back the collar and the insert for my hat, which I sewed from an old navy sweater. The plaid collar comes from behind the shoulder and is stitched in place with a vintage button.

This dress took me about three days to make, most of which was spent planning, measuring, and drafting the sleeves, and then procrastinating because I was afraid that my measurements were wrong!
You can see more pictures and details of the dress, along with some 1930s images that I used for inspiration, on my blog!

{ 19 comments }

1930s in Navy and Plaid

by Nabby on September 21, 2011 · 12 comments

in 1930s

Here is a dress that I finished some time ago. I had a terrible time getting a good picture of it; I don’t know if it was because of its dark color or if the conditions were just wrong every time, but I tried on four separate occasions, and these pictures were the best out of about fifty. I had to lighten them considerably in order to show the details, so just try to ignore how washed out the background (and my face!) looks.


I made it with navy and plaid cotton using this pattern from the Vintage Pattern Lending Library.

I LOVE this pattern so much that I just want to make it over and over, and this is actually the second time that I have made it. I made a few alterations from the pattern instructions this time around. The original dress unbuttons to the waist with the yoke being completely sewn down. Instead of using the facing piece provided for the bodice, I completely lined the inside with plaid and made it open down to the point of the yoke. I did this because I really wanted to add some extra buttons there for aesthetic purposes anyway, so I figured that they may as well be functional. Also, I had a bit of trouble getting in and out of the first dress, so this helped with that as well.
Here is a close-up of the sleeve and some more covered buttons.


Visit my blog for a few more pictures and details!

{ 12 comments }