Stephanie

I actually made this dress (extremely last minute, as usual) for my friend Robyn’s wedding, whose wedding dress I made and blogged about here. It’s become one of my favorite dresses to date so I thought I’d share how I spliced it together.

The skirt is using the pattern of the overskirt in Butterick 4790, the Walkaway Dress. This was one of the very first patterns I used, and the very first Retro Butterick pattern. I really loved the shape of the skirt, especially how most of the fullness was on the sides and back.

For the bodice, I used McCall’s 6599, altered the neckline to a bit of a sweetheart shape and omitted the sleeves. It’s not a particularly retro style, but it was just the simple princess seamed bodice I wanted.

I have been SO pleased with this dress, it is hands down my favorite. I wear it all the time, and it is extremely comfortable. The cotton breathes well in the Texas heat, but it’s easy to throw a sweater over for cooler weather as I did during our trip to France this past summer!

I think I love this dress most of all because I feel like it fits me the best of any garment I’ve ever made, which makes me want to keep sewing and working at getting the best fit possible for all my clothes! It really is amazing how great a well-fitting garment makes you feel.

A few more pics and details on my blog here. :-)

{ 4 comments }

Last year, my newly engaged friend sent me a picture of an adorable 50s tea length dress and asked if I knew anyone that could recreate it for her upcoming wedding, or if I would be able to. At that point, I still hadn’t used many patterns, and I had never fitted anyone other than me for a dress. So my first reaction was, there’s no way I’m experienced enough yet to make such an important dress! However, I absolutely fell in love with the dress she had chosen, and I just had a strong urge to say yes anyway to challenge myself, and so I did.

The dress she wanted had a simple, sleeveless, fitted bodice with a scoop neck and low V back. The full tea length skirt was made with box pleats, which I love to use and knew I could do for sure, it was just getting a lovely fit on the bodice that had me a bit nervous. I started with a Retro Butterick pattern as a kind of base for the bodice and altered it a lot from there. It probably would have been easier to create a bodice pattern myself from scratch, but I haven’t gotten that far yet!

There were some ups and downs overall, but I was pleased with the end result, as was she!

Many more details and pics on my blog here. :-)

{ 17 comments }

As a longtime musician I’m always looking to add to my black “concert dress” collection, but this is the first time I’ve actually made myself something in good old concert black! I used the very basic Retro Butterick 5748, which is a lovely simple bodice and circle skirt. I just made a couple small adjustments (changed zipper location, added pockets) and it went together very easily. I’m pleased with the result, would love to make this one again with a great print!

The hat is another lucky local vintage find!

More details and pics on my blog here. :-)

 

{ 5 comments }

When I showed my husband the fabric I planned to use for this dress, he said it looked Granny. Lol! So I proudly call this my Granny dress! (He liked the final product regardless.) ;-) I used Retro Butterick 6582.

Since this was my Easter dress, I had to get an Easter bonnet to go along with it. I found a great little vintage hat for $8, and added some of my own embellishments.

More pics and details on my blog here. :-)

 

{ 17 comments }