I recently sewed this incredibly easy fitted skirt from a 1956 Vogue pattern I’ve had in my stash for over a year. The pattern is actually one single piece of cloth shaped by darts and folds.
just one piece (plus the facing)
There is a second piece of facing at the waist, as well. One of the best things about it is that you can make small adjustments just by moving the buttons over or closer to the edge, whichever you need. This pattern was a size or two too large for me, but in the end it didn’t matter because I simply moved the buttons over.
I’d definitely sew this one again, maybe with some kind of heavy black taffeta, and using ties instead of buttons. I’m envisioning bows in black velvet down one side. Too much?
McCalls 5265 from 1976
I recently found this McCall’s pattern for a jumpsuit from 1976 at a local charity shop. It has several wonderful features. Foremost, I like the simplicity of it coupled with the gathered detail at the shoulder/sleeve area. The other feature I really like is the channel at the back for a tie (which you can see on my photo) or through which you could insert a belt of your choice.
Even though this was an incredibly easy pattern to follow and sew, I had two problems that delayed my finishing and almost reconciled this garment to the scrap heap. The major problem was that the torso was too short and whenever I attempted to lift my arms there was an issue with “cramming.” I was happily able to solve this by adding the smallest of gussets. What a difference! That led me down a long and winding trail through the history of gussets and the construction of men’s pants (a garment where apparently you really want a gusset if you’re planning to ride a horse or make a high kick).
it looks all puckered here, but it could be ironed flat (if one wanted to do such a task before taking pictures)
The second problem was my own fault. I used a second hand zipper because I wanted an authentic 70s feel when I zipped it up. Unfortunately the zipper I chose was more worn through than I thought and the fabric began to tear away from the garment. I reconciled to replacing it with a new one. I also decided to shorten the trousers to knee length (those wide legs were so heavy!). You can see more pictures on my blog.
I’ve been a long-time reader of all the posts on this blog, and I love looking at the amazing work people produce. I’ve also been sewing vintage clothing for the past couple of years. I’m pretty eclectic about it — anything from the 40s to the 80s can catch my eye if it looks like a great design.
I recently found a very beat-up McCalls 5507 dress pattern from 1960. It was two sizes too big, so I sized it down and it turned out just fine. I loved how easy this pattern was to sew. Only 4 pieces, plus the neck facing. I used a light polkadot cotton blend. Great features of this dress include a kick pleat at the back and kimono sleeves that sit perfectly (and allow for all kinds of adjustments if the back gapes, ect). I will definitely sew this one again. Sorry, I don’t have very many pictures of the finished product.