Mermaids Purse

I had a super quick turn around with this recent dress project: I chose version A, sans collar, and used a slightly stretchy plaid fabric that I recently inherited, I had just enough width to panel the body pieces. No major issues, just it just needs perhaps a little more work to fit the back [...]


Please excuse the vertical creases!  The fabric is medium weight and feels lovely, drapes nicely, and the colour is a richer, darker purple than the photograph conveys.  I particularly loved the look of the front panel.  I made only minor adjustments, running the bodice in a centimeter, under the arms, tapering off to the waist. [...]


Hello, I thought I’d share my current project, I’ve been putting together this, perhaps wearable toile, and I’m now considering lining it…  Here’s the pattern sleeve (isn’t it divine?) the dress I’m making is version three, the center black number, wide fold over collar, slim skirt and three quarter sleeves. I have some construction photos, [...]


This is the latest dress I’ve completed just in time for our Mad Men Inspired Cocktail birthday party/house warming on the weekend just gone.  Here’s the complete outfit, please excuse the hat styling, just trying it out in order to disguise some wild hair! I had some dramas in the making of this outfit, including [...]


I feel like it has been ages since I’ve posted something complete, a whole new dress that worked out just as I imagined!  I have a couple of dresses waiting for me to finish, you might have seen them on my blog, two really special ones, Simplicity 1720, and Simplicity 3107.  I really needed one [...]


This was one of those sewing projects I cut out a couple of months ago, and it’s finally complete!  Wohoo, I used the last of this beautiful fabric, a jersey knit, that my mum gave me.  I’m thinking it’s quite vintage, superb quality and I’ve not seen anything like it before. I wanted to make [...]


I thought I’d share some advertisements from an old magazine I have…  The magazine is Pins and Needles. I thought these add were great – I also use a Bernina Record, so I just had to smile. You can see other scans over on my blog, I didn’t want to overload you all with heaps [...]


Straight out of the 60s, I picked up this pattern from a vintage textile fair last year. My first full skirted pattern, I had a few troubles with the fit, and skirt length – which was much longer than the illustration on the pattern.  You can read all about it over on my blog, but [...]


This is my second vintage dress I have completed – here is a close up of the fabric and my hot pink zipper! My plan is to use whatever I have at hand to complete my outfits, I have been so fortunate to have inherited something of a huge fabric stash and almost everything I [...]


I have finally got some pictures of this completed dress, I have heaps more photos on my blog and a bit of the story of making it. This is my first whole dress project and was quick to make up, and a first attempt at invisible zipper sewing! I altered it heavily as I discovered [...]