Sew Melodic

I decided to copy cat the 1969 vintage look on the envelope of Vogue pattern 7663.  The short sleeved dress is loose fitting with a dropped waist and front button banded placket, the skirt is one way pleated all around. 

I changed the pattern slightly to accommodate my much loved ponte knit fabric. I achieved this by removing the back neckline darts and stitching down the front button placket 

More on the blog: Sew Melodic

{ 10 comments }

Pattern: Simplicity 4637

Junior Misses’ and Misses’ One-Piece Dress, Bodice has low cut neckline and short kimono sleeves. Skirt is gathered at waist. View 1 has bias trim on neck and skirt with bows accenting left side.

Year: 1954

Fabric and notions: deep purple suiting (from the stash) I did not want to line the dress just add the facing as the pattern was drafted. Bias binding to finish the sleeve edges and a vintage metal placket zipper.

Construction details on the blog Sew Melodic.

{ 12 comments }

Simplicity 3662

Early 1960’s (Mad Men style!!!)

Navy Lace Cocktail party dress with flared skirt and lovely shaped
neckline.

About this pattern –

Do you see on the pattern art where the lovely lady in the lace dress
clearly has a strapless under bodice? Well pieces for this under bodice do not
exist and they never did. So to make my dress match the lovely cover I had to
draft the under bodice. No big deal, one issue down.

 

Next, how in the world would one go about sewing the lace side seams as
well as the shoulder to wrist seams, making them not overly visible or unfinished
or just gross? Also how will I maintain structure in the bodice coupled with
the under bodice while working with flimsy lace and also am I planning for the
back zip or another method of closure? These issues are bigger. I went back and
forth prior to cutting in my plans. I wanted to take the time and match my lace
along the seam lines but why? In this case I was not using fabrics of any value
(cheap Joann sale purchase bought to experiment w/lace techniques) and also how
do you match lace along a kimono underarm? Plus there are elbow darts. What do
you do with those in lace?!?!?!!   So I
came to the conclusion that I would cut additional bias strips for the inside
bodice seam binding. I was already cutting bias strips for the neckline as well
as the cuffs and in the end I also added the bias strips to the waistline as
well.

Seam techniques used in the bodice –

Shoulder seams have bias added flat fell seams

Under arm/bodice side seams have bias bound seams

{ 5 comments }

Sewing Objective: create that cute striped number with
the retro cut out neckline.
It is no secret that I am mad about 60’s mod looks. I
flipped when I found this pattern Simplicity 7288 dated 1970 in my archive. The
style of the views shift on
 the front the envelope. The design is quite basic, a
line shape french darts yet the hem goes from mod late 60’s mini to 70’s mindi
to boho maxi in a flash.

At any rate I loved the stripe button combo and could
not help to vintage copycat the look. I found this cotton stripe plain weave
some time ago from the mecca: fabric.com – $1.95 per yard awesome section. It was quite
sheer, or what I refer to as a blessing to fully line! So off I went with some
cotton lawn remnants. Thus a lovely early spring in the Midwest Mock Mod frock, that implemented some
cute little buttons and a vintage zip from my stash.

{ 6 comments }