1950s | Dresses | Vintage Sewing

Sunny Floral Dress (Advance 9209)

By on June 3, 2013

 

Hi again! I just wanted to share this dress I made last week. If you couldn’t tell, I made it from a vintage sheet.  The pattern I used is shown below, Advance 9209. The pattern is actually for a pinafore to be worn over a nightgown, so I made a few little tweaks to make it work as a sundress- adding more buttons and making the pockets a little smaller.

I made my own bias tape for the first time for the project and I’m amazed at how easy it actually is! I also learned how to use my sewing machine’s buttonhole foot for the first time (embarrassingly, I’ve had it for like 8 years!) and I think it just changed my life!

I have more pictures and info over here on my blog, Mint Green Sewing Machine, if you’d like to pop over and take a look!

-Melissa

Continue Reading

1950s | Dresses | Vintage Sewing

The Novel Cover Dress

By on May 6, 2013

Hello again! Melissa here. Today I’m sharing a dress I actually made last summer. I was inspired by a dress from the cover of a 1950’s detective novel I came across. I loved it so much I decided to re-create it for myself. Here’s the inspiration:

The dress is made from a cotton broadcloth with white bias tape details. I cobbled together a couple of different patterns I had to get the right shape. It’s not exactly the same but I’m really happy with how it turned out!

Thanks for looking! You can check out some more details and pictures here on my blog, Mint Green Sewing Machine.

-Melissa

Continue Reading

1950s | 1960s | Dresses | Vintage Sewing

The Curtain Dress (Butterick 5748)

By on April 6, 2013

Hi, I’m Melissa, a blogger and longtime sewing enthusiast from the central coast of California. This is my first post on WeSewRetro. I’m so excited to share one of my favorite sewing projects with fellow vintage lovers!

The idea for this project began when I found this amazing fabric at a thrift store in the form of some old curtains. I loved the print and the colors, and  I knew I could give those curtains new life as a dress. I decided to try it out on one of my new retro Butterick patterns, #5748. I modified the pattern slightly due to the directional design of my fabric, making a gored skirt instead of the circle skirt of the pattern. I made the bow removable so I can change the look a little bit.

You can check out my post for this dress here on my blog, Mint Green Sewing Machine -Melissa

Continue Reading