Silk Shell Top

I made this top out of a long silk skirt I picked up at the thrift store for $2. The pattern is Simplicity 4400 from 1958, and the embroidery is from the fantastic Flickr group Hoop Love Vintage Transfers.

The top was a little billowy for my tastes, so I added vertical waist darts to give some shape :)

Silk Shell Top

Silk Shell Top
It looks good tucked in, too!

Silk Shell Top - embroidery
The embroidery is very simple – split stitch on the rose, back stitch on the leaves/stems.

As always, more pictures/info on my blog, LLADYBIRD.


Daisy Sundress

by lladybird on March 20, 2012 · 6 comments

in Vintage Sewing

Happy first day of spring, y’all!

Here’s my contribution – a daisy print sundress, made using Simplicity 8345 (can we consider 1996 “retro” yet? ACK I remember wearing this stuff the first time ’round… and I’m young!)

Daisy Sundress

It’s a very simple dress – princess seams, scalloped neckline, flared skirt. Right up my alley!

Daisy Sundress

Daisy Sundress
I just love that the scallops go all the way around the back :D

The best part? This is a bedsheet! Cheeyeaaah!

Daisy Sundress

More info/pictures at my blog, LLADYBIRD.


When I was putting together my Spring/Summer plan involving this dress, I mistakenly referred to it as the Leopard Wrap Dress. Except it’s cheetah print, and the dress is a mock wrap! MY BAD.

Cheetah Wrap Dress
Whatever, I like it anyway :)

I used Simplicity 6268, which I believe is from the 70s (don’t have the envelope in front of me and I can’t find a copy online, so if anyone knows the exact date, please let me know!). The fabric is some class of poly – very drapey and does not wrinkle at all! It was given to me by my best friend’s grandmother after she cleaned out her sewing room – for all I know, it may be vintage as well :)

Cheetah Wrap Dress
I did not make any adjustments – the bust had enough ease so it fit fine. I did change the way the ties go on – instead of sewing 2 at the sides to tie in the back, I sewed them together to make one long tie and did not attach it to the dress. I think tying it in the front makes it look more like a wrap dress, plus, I can wear it with other belts if I feel so inclined :)

Cheetah Wrap Dress
Proof it’s not a wrap dress – there’s a zipper!

Cheetah Wrap Dress
I am really happy with how this dress turned out – really comfortable and fun to wear, and the pattern was super fast to make up! I think it’ll be a great transitional piece for upcoming seasons :)

As always, more info & pictures at my blog, lladybird.

Thanks for looking!


Vogue 2925- Fabiani Coat

by lladybird on February 7, 2012 · 15 comments

in 1970s

I’ve been working on this coat for what seems like FOREVER! I finished up the muslin in 2011, started sewing at the beginning of the year and had it ready in 3 weeks… then my self-covered buttons broke (dumb cheap kit!) so I had to get someone to make them for me which took another week. But it’s finally ready for it’s unveiling!

Coat front

vogue 2925
Here is the pattern I used – it’s a ~Couturier~ pattern, ooh la la. I made view B, just the coat. Actually, I made the pants too, but that’s another blog post.

I made a LOT of fitting changes – mostly because the pattern was a size too big. Want the list? Here you go:
- Remove 1/4″ from top & bottom sleeve side seams
- Reduce sleeve head ease (appx 7/8″ at peak)
- Taper lapel 1/2″
- Shift button position
- Shorten back belt 3/4″ on each end
- Remove 5/8″ from center back seam
- Remove 3/4″ from side back seam
- Raise underarm seam 1″
- Reduce shoulder width 5/8″
- Shorten sleeves 1/2″

As far as the pattern instructions – it actually includes instructions on hand-tailoring, so I didn’t have to deviate much! I did set the sleeves in using Gertie’s method – it’s much easier and cleaner! – and the lining is tacked down with feather stitches instead of the suggested cross stitches. All seams were pressed open and catch-stitched down as well.

lining peek
Oh yeah, there is bright kiwi green lining :)

Tag :3
And a hand-embroidered tag!

Some progress/tailoring peeks:

tailored inside of coat

bound button hole & covered button!

I’m very happy with my new coat – now if only it would actually get cold enough here in Tennessee to wear it :)

As always, there are more pictures/info on my blog, LLADYBIRD. Thanks for looking! :D