Lazy Seamstress

Here in the North West of the United Kingdom it is grey and wet and windy. Actually that’s pretty much how it is all over the UK right now, I’m grateful we have at least escaped the dreadful flooding that is happening in the south.
In an attempt to counteract the greyness and lift my spirits while waiting for Spring, and inspired by Marie’s #vintagepledge project, I’ve stitched up two circle skirts this week.

Both skirts were made using a vintage Maudella pattern that I found at our local Vintage Village.
The first using quilting cotton, one of my favourite prints by Laura Gunn.
The second skirt is made from a wool fabric I’ve had for some time.

This skirt pattern is, I can tell going to be one of my most used vintage patterns. I had already used it along with the bodice of another of my favourite vintage patterns to make a dress last month. Well worth the £1 or so I spent on it.

{ 8 comments }


This dress is a mix up of two patterns, the first used for the bodice is my favourite vintage pattern, and the second, a simple circle skirt.

The fabric is a gorgeous teal and navy wool with great softness and drape. Sadly I didn’t notice a flaw in the weave until after I had sewn on the skirt, but my solution to add three rows of decorative ric rac solved that problem, and I think brightens up an otherwise very plain dress.
As always more detail over on my blog. x

{ 5 comments }

I used this 1960′s/70′s fabric to make up a Lady Skater dress. The fabric was £3 from my local vintage village. A fairly typical synthetic from that era, mildly see through and with only one way stretch. Not exactly the right fabric for the pattern, but I thought it was worth a try.
I’m fairly happy with the resulting dress, it’s comfy and easy to wear so will probably become part of my every day wardrobe.
I did have to cut the skirt quite short because I didn’t quite have enough fabric, but I think I can get away with it, and the length does suit the feintly 60′s feel I think?
As always, more details on my blog.

{ 2 comments }

I recently bought a 1970′s maxi skirt in a charity shop. I fell in love with the Art Deco print despite the fabric being horribly synthetic, and the skirt having the teeniest tiniest waist possible.
I knew there was enough fabric in the skirt to make something that would fit me.
I cut off the top of the skirt just under the zip fastening, chopped off the seams and evened out the four skirt panels. I then stitched up three seams, added an invisible zip to the fourth before finishing that seam, and finished the waist with bias binding. The whole thing took me just short of two hours from start to finish, and I’m really very happy with the resulting skirt. I just love this print, plus of course one advantage to synthetic fabrics like this one is the lack of ironing. I’ll be able to chuck this in the washer, it’ll drip dry in a flash and with no creases.

The original skirt:

{ 3 comments }