lauriesue

Simplicity 6882… A perfect dress for for my tiny 19 year old daughter. And I am so pleased with how it turned out!

I used a royal blue rayon and followed the directions without making any modifications other than a shorter length. She is definitely looking like a pretty cool cat in her new dress and ready to go out on the town and boogie all night long!

If you would like to read more feel free to head over to the Sewexhausted blog!

Laurie

{ 3 comments }

Mrs. Teapot I presume?

by lauriesue on October 1, 2013 · 6 comments

in 1950s,1960s

I finally made MYSELF a vintage dress. The pattern was Butterick 9499 and I believe it is late 50′s or early 60′s.

I went with a green cotton broadcloth. I bought this a while back, and paid $1.99 a yard for it- which means this dress cost me about $10 bucks to make. :) Cotton… I gotta say it needs same spray starch and a better pressing than I was able to give it.

When I came out in all my glory yesterday my youngest told me I looked like Mrs. Teapot. My eldest told me I looked like the lady who had a bunch of stuff in her suitcase. (Mary Poppins?) Ahhh, children! I let them BOTH know I felt like Beavers mother. (And I received blank stares) :)

I like the dress for the most part. The cuffs are fantastic… I covered my own buttons for both cuffs. I love the bodice and the collar. And I really like the shade of green. :D

You can read more about the dress and see more pics here!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

{ 6 comments }

A Vintage Classic

by lauriesue on September 21, 2013 · 5 comments

in 1960s,Vintage Sewing

For this dress I used vintage pattern Simplicity 4432.  From what I could glean on the internet (and correct me if I am wrong) this pattern is from the early 60′s.

I used 100% cotton of course! It was a piece of fabric I fell in love with on a recent trip to Oregon. It was on the clearance table and another 50% off so I paid a total of $9 for the whole piece! As soon as I saw it I KNEW it was going to be this dress and it was going to be for Holly.

The inside is fully lined with a white cotton. It actually started out as a light weight car cover my grandma gave to my mom, and my mom was going to get rid of. It was so soft I said NO! I can use that cotton fabric for lining! And I did!

Super simple dress and oh so sweet! We got compliments at the Classic Car show we attended to take pictures. We wanted to be in a setting that fit the dress!

If you’d like to read more see my blog! www.SewExhausted.com

{ 5 comments }

Recently I joined in the Sew For Victory Sew Along, and although I was a few days late I DID finish! Whew!

My pattern was a 1940′s blouse pattern I bought off Etsy. It came to me all the way from the UK, but I had to have it… I fell in love with the sleeves! Initially I was going to make the long sleeved collar one with the great cuffs, but the more I looked, the more I wanted to do View 3. And so I did!

I had a lot of trouble getting started. Mainly because I could not find a fabric I wanted. So in true #SewForVictory spirit I spotted an unused purple sheet in my garage and BINGO! It became my blouse!

See? Aren’t those sleeves great? Although, oops, they seem to require a bit more pressing! I am wondering if I should add the shoulder pads. I KNOW they were the thing in the 40′s… and 80′s… Hmmm- do you think they will be back any time soon? I think the shoulder seam would be in the perfect spot WITH the shoulder pads. I may try it out!

The pattern was pretty easy! I was surprised, because I admit I was very hesitant to begin. I looked at those completely blank pattern pieces with punched holes scattered throughout, and ONE page of directions for several days before I even got the courage to start… and finally I just dived in! And it wasn’t bad at all. As a matter of fact the manner in which they did the collars was very simple! And despite there being quite a few darts, once I had marked and pinned them all they went in easily! And I really like all the darts and tucks. They add a nice fit! So feminine!

On a side note- No pattern pieces were harmed in the making of this blouse. :D

Inside I used all french seams. Oh how I LOVE the look of the inside of a garment with french seams. I put up the hem by hand using hem tape (lace)… I think the inside looks almost as nice as the outside!

I was also worried about the button holes. It has been years since I have done any, and frankly using my daughters $80 sewing machine (mine is still broken) made me wonder if my whole blouse would become a wadder once I tried fighting with it. BUT they went in without a hitch! Easy as pie… I covered buttons because I wanted a nice clean look.

When I was finished I got out the dye. The color of the sheet was a wishy washy kind of purple and I wanted to deepen it so I bought purple dye, and added in a bit of blue. I think the color turned out perfect! BTW- Purple is HARD to photograph! It is a deeper purple than the one above- It is more like the first pic of me…

I wanted to look like the girl on the pattern but my hair is too long so I pulled it back… BUT I did add a black ribbon as a tie. :D I am very happy with my blouse and absolutely WILL wear it! Probably sans the ribbon tie!

I think this is a blouse I will make again. I would change the length of the blouse- I would add on a few inches I think. I would LOVE to have a dressy long sleeved one made from silk charmeuse… and I am still pining after a pretty aqua cotton poplin blouse- maybe the short sleeve one for a springy/ summery top.

I definitely have a greater appreciation for my grandma! My grandpa was a soldier in the Marines for many years! I definitely enjoyed this foray into that period of time and plan on participating again next year!

That is my grandad! He was a career Marine and joined up in the early 1940′s… Later on he became a recruiter and recruited my mom and several of his sons! :)

~Laurie

{ 7 comments }