Laura Mae

I feel like I have been cheating on my vintage reproductions lately with actual vintage patterns.  But perhaps that is not such a bad thing . . .

This pattern finally gave me the motivation to cut into a silk/cotton jacquard blend that I have been hoarding for years.  Seriously!  I have been pulling it out and staring at it for many years only to put it back, scared that I would ruin it, or at the very least, choose an unworthy project.

But, it would seem, the fabric was just waiting for this pattern.  Don’t you love when the perfect fabric shows up for the perfect pattern?!

More pictures and construction info on Simplicity 3448 may be found over on my blog, Lilacs & Lace.

This Hollywood pattern is my idea of the perfect summer dress.  I cannot wait to make a striped or plaid version and play with those bias cut pieces!  But for now, this pink cotton print was just too perfect to pass up.

And now I must get back to my vintage reproductions – they are feeling very neglected.

{ 3 comments }

In keeping with my resolution to make more separates for myself this year, here is one of my recent projects.

The pattern is a 1945 reproduction from Eva Dress.  The original pattern is for a fantastic dress, which I have made twice!   It turns out, this dress makes a lovely little skirt (at least I think so).

Time to re-think all of those dress patterns – they really make excellent skirts!  Just add a waistband and you are ready to go!

More pictures and information about the altered construction of my new skirt may be found over at Lilacs & Lace.

{ 4 comments }

Shocking Pink!

by Laura Mae on March 13, 2012 · 10 comments

in 1960s,Dresses

As Mad Men fever is sweeping the country, so many people are going 1960s crazy, myself included.

I have plenty of patterns to work with, but for some reason this newly purchased Simplicity pattern was calling my name.  I cannot find an actual date on the pattern, but it seems to be a late 1950s or early 1960s style.  Does anyone know exactly when this was first published?  It was a factory-folded beauty – this vintage pattern is in the best condition I have ever come across; someone obviously took wonderful care of her.

When the pink silk/wool blend showed up at my door a couple of years ago, I was convinced that I would never use the fabric.  However, my new pattern needed a fabric with some body, so I pulled it out.  Sometimes things are just meant to be!

I have been in the habit of adding a strip of silk organza to my zipper openings as of late, and it really stabilizes the fabric for sewing.  I would highly recommend the technique.

Normally, I make self-fabric belts for all of my vintage dress reproductions, however, I thought that would be a little too much pink.  I found the black beaded belt at a local thrift store last year and it works perfectly!

More pictures may be found over on my blog, Lilacs & Lace.

{ 10 comments }

Here is my latest vintage reproduction dress – this time the pattern came from The Vintage Pattern Lending Library.

I have been saving my red satin rayon specifically for this pattern, and I think they make a lovely pair.

The sleeves and the yoked skirt are my favorite parts of the dress.  This pattern is fabulous!

More pictures and construction information may be found over on my blog, Lilacs & Lace.

{ 5 comments }