So as I’m doing the HSF (which is now historical sew monthly) and the first theme is Foundations I thought I’d try making a 1930s/40s bra (and girdle..but that’s another subject). Anyway started with the pattern in Vintage Lingerie by Jill Salen. I sort of combined both patterns. I draped the basic pattern.
I’m trying to find a modern pattern equivelent for the dress in the image below.
I’m hoping you can help me. I think I can use my shirtdress pattern (I’ll have to compromise with a button down the front) but its the collar I always have trouble with….if I can get me a basic 1970s blouse shape It would give me a base to work from.
Firstly a frankenpattern is a PR (pattern review) term for getting several patterns and taking elements you then combine to make your own unique item.
In this case it was butterick 5556 and lisette 2246. I made my usual adjustments to the bodice. Adding a little to the side seams usually doesn the trick. And then once that was sewn up added the skirt. It took me a long time as I was determined to hand baste and press every seam before machine sewing. I have to admit I struggled attaching the skirt to the bodice…then was horrified to see it was too loose fitting at the bodice back. So I will have to wear it with a belt.
Read more at my blog
Well its that time of year again…the local lindy exchange and I’ve set myself quite a task. A new outfit for each dance. So that’s three for the evening dances. The themes go Casual, Vintage, Seaside.
So I decided to have a general nautical feel and blues as a colour running through the outfits.
Outfit 1 –
A boat print 1940’s style dress. This is for SEASIDE. Used Butterick 5209 again. Its becoming my ‘go to’ pattern. I liked the bodice but not the waistband or skirt. Instead I wore a slip and vest underneath.
Navy blue swing trousers to wear with red and white striped top in the evening but a white to for the day events. This is for VINTAGE. I used the Eliza M Swing hop pants pattern.
I even went beyond the pattern instructions and added a few extras like bias binding the facing, decorative buttons and hand picking the zip. You may recognise the top I’m wearing from this post.
Blue Polkadot circle skirt (with complimentary top.) This is for CASUAL. I used Simplicity 3847 for the skirt.
Read my original post at my blog.
As part of the sew for victory sew along I made myself a 1940’s ensemble. I used butterick 5209 for my dress. I also made a complementary matching bag and hat using the instructions (with a few modifications) from a 1940’s newsreel.
the shoes are modern but I think look rather 40’s as are the gloves. Wore it to a swing dance and found it nice to dance in .
for more details and photos see my blog
Started off with butterick 5556 and a plan. Originally I was going to make the ‘dress’ with contrasting skirt but decided it was better to make them as seperates. I just about squeezed the skirt out of the fabric (60″ wide) by cutting the skirt ‘lining’ length and turning the skirt cutting layout from landscape to portrait.
I also did pockets for the first time and was surprised how quick its all come together.
Used the waistband from the high waisted pencil skirt as I knew it was a perfect fit. Pleated rather than gathered the skirts to the waistband, leaving it smoother at the front where the pockets were.
These photo’s were taken wearing 2 petticoats for extra volume.
The top was erm..borrowed a stop gap till I make by matching shirt.
for more info and pics see my blog
So inspired by the colours of the Clara Bow dress I went in search of the right colour fabric. Now problem is either it draped but wasn’t the right colour or the right colour but wrong pattern. So in the end I decided to use some cheap ‘silk’ haboutai and polycotton as this would act then as my ‘template’ I could later on make dresses in cotton out of, to the same pattern.
I used the portrait blouse pattern (from gertie’s ne book for better sewing) but changed the neck line and shortened it – as bottom half of the blouse would be my green fabric (so basically colour blocked it).
I made it first in polycotton to test out how it fitted. Then I started on the shiny material. Really should have underlined it coz it was so slippery and frayed a lot.
I then pleated the skirt and attached it to the lining…then folded the green band over and topstitched. Sewn up the skirt back and tacked closed where the zip would go.
Then I made green bias binding and finished the arms and hem. Inserted zip.
Made a matching headscarf and I was done. Took me about a week to sew entirely by hand. But I was working to a deadline.
As there was a retro dance approaching and I wanted my 20’s-ish dress to be ready for then.
For more info and pics see my blog.