June

Simplicity 2522

by June on May 11, 2014 · 1 comment

in 1950s,Blouses,Shirts

I chose this pattern to enter the garment on the PatternReview “Vintage” challenge.  It’s a 1958 pattern for blouses with bateau necklines.  I actually love the look of the blouse, but it has some fit issues that weren’t obvious with the muslin and I really wish I had caught before I cut the fashion fabric.  That said, I am smitten with the little bows on the trim and I did get compliments on the blouse when I wore it today.  For more blurb, please visit my blog.

 

 

{ 1 comment }

I am not sure whether to call this a mod dress or not.  I am not terribly familiar with the fashion terminology of the 60′s so I’ll refrain from attaching any labels lest they be incorrect.

Anyhow, this is a 1968 pattern that I bought as part of a lot in 2009. I immediately fell in in love with the scallops and the color of the green dress but for a sting of reasons didn’t get around to working on it until last July.  The muslin went well and revealed that the only adjustments I truly needed were shortening the length and adding some width to the sleeves.  Yay for big upper arms! Not.  I also removed some of the ease from the sleeve cap because it was unruly.  I cut the fashion fabric….last July…. and didn’t pick the project up again until a couple of weeks ago.  Seven months sat the cut pieces somewhere in my sewing room.  Seven months.

I really love the dress.  I love the scalloped edge and I do love the lime green, even if it is a bit obnoxious.  Now I need to learn a hair do to go with it.  There’s a ton more blurb on my bog.

{ 12 comments }

I made this dress to wear to a Downton Abbey inspired tea, but also as an entry into the Historical Sew Fortnightly Challenge #3 Pink.  The pattern itself is a repro of an original 1921 Butterick pattern and it went together very nicely.  For being such an old pattern the instructions were much better than what you find on BurdaStyle magazines, although they are wholly inadequate Big Four standards today. I used a poly shantung for economical reasons but other than that, the dress is pretty historically accurate.  Actually, it’s not a dress but a skirt suspended from a “long underbody” and then a blouse on top. I am very happy with how it turned out.  It’s not something I can just wear around but it served its purpose, and I think I’m going to use during Costume College for day activities.  For more pictures and a description of the Historical Sew Fortnightly challenge, please visit my blog.  I almost forgot, I made the hat too, using Simplicity 1736 and wool/rayon felt.

 

As a side note, I hadn’t made any posts since the blog was moved over from Blogger but I could have sworn I had an account.  Apparently I didn’t so I had to create one, and it’s showing that I have no other posts.  Bummer.

{ 5 comments }