juliam

There’s a contest being held by BurdaStyle and Indygo Junction where you are supposed to take one of Amy Barickman’s wonderful vintage-inspired patterns and turn it into a piece of your own. One of the prizes is for a significant modification to become an Indygo Junction pattern, so my goal in creating this piece was to create something that would fit into the Indygo Junction repertoire and would be versatile as a pattern.

And then when I saw the children’s Urban Prairie Dress pattern, I was struck with a tidal wave of inspiration. When I was a child, I always used to look enviously at the women’s clothing wishing I was big enough to wear it. Now I have the same feeling when I look at the children’s section. So when I saw Indygo Junction’s Urban Prairie dress, I knew I wanted to wear it.

So, I blew it up into a grown-up pattern! It essentially ended up being a redraft of the original, but I tried hard to maintain the original look while turning it into a more “womanly” piece with some finer details. It’s edged with flat eyelet lace and tied in the back with a double ribbon bow that actually comes out of giant buttonholes in the waistband. I love pockets in dresses, so I added some of those, too.

I had some extra eyelet lace and decided to add a headband. I love Amy Barickman’s Zipper embellishments, so I made the heart on the headband out of a red zipper. I was having so much fun that I couldn’t resist using some extra ribbon to put the little bows on my shoes. I think this outfit just begs to be worn on for Valentine’s day :-)

More pictures either at my BurdaStyle or on my Blog!

{ 1 comment }

Black Lace and Satin Blouse

by juliam on January 11, 2012 · 2 comments

in Blouses

This project was not in my originals plans for the day yesterday, a pair of jeans for my 52 Weeks of Sewing project was. But, then I decided to make a shirt to go with the jeans, and then it turned into “hey, I should just try that blouse from that Vintage Modern Design Challenge that BurdaStyle just posted.” Ultimately, the jeans never got made and the blouse morphed into this!

It is based on a free blouse pattern from Indygo Junction. And wow, what a pattern to use! I’ve never don’t anything like that before, it doesn’t give you any paper pieces just instructions on how to chalk it out yourself. The entire back panel is lace, and the front pattern is a mystery (polyester?) satin I had lying around. I actually cut the blouse to the specifications, but then took it in significantly after the fact (it’s taken in about six inches, and then I added darts to the front). I also shaped the side seams to bring the lace back panel slightly forwards. The cuffs were done as instructed, but I shortened the sleeves and then I added another “cuff” as the bottom hem, all in the same lace as the back panel.

My hope was to create a piece that is a more modern variant of the satin blouse which could be turned into a real pattern and recreated. I’m pretty pleased with it – all the adjustments I made mean it’s a little bit messier on the inside than I would like, but all in all considering my lack of experience with this type of thing, I’m happy!

More photos on my BurdaStyle profile. More information on the Vintage-Inspired Modern Style Design Challenge here.

{ 2 comments }

A black and red 50′s inspired swing dress – it has a circle skirt and and elasticated back. It was simple and a lot of fun to make and I’m excited to swing dance in it this Saturday! It’s not hemmed yet – I’m still deciding whether or not I want it much shorter. It’s part of my new years resolution to sew 52 garments in 52 weeks.

 

 

 

 

{ 3 comments }