Merry Christmas Eve everyone!
This is my newest make, the Stepford Wife does Christmas Dress. This dress is actually the result of one of those rare ‘happy’ sewing mistakes that apparently do pop up on occasion (who knew!).
This dress started out originally as a plain red Anna dress, number one on my Summer Sewing List. The bodice came out beautifully, with absolutely no adjustments needed. In fact, I may have squealed when I tried it on because this bodice is so darn flattering!!
The skirt on me unfortunately, was another matter entirely…
For more details, head on over to my blog!
And I just wanted to wish you all a Merry Christmas I hope you all get to spend some quality time with your loved ones (and your sewing machines, which probably count as loved ones right?).
Way back in May I made Vogue 8728, a 40′s reproduction knit dress, and it was pretty safe to say that I luuurved this dress. Comfy, cute and easy to wash and wear. So, I made 2 more (this version and a beautiful green wool knit version, post to come) and bought fabric for a fourth. While I still love this dress, I’m starting to wonder if I should branch out of my 40′s knit dresses and possibly try something else? Well, maybe, we’ll see… Any suggestions?
I won’t go into the construction details because I did all that in my original post. The knit I used is a lovely medium weight 98% cotton with a tiny bit of spandex for stretch and up close, is actually a navy and maroon marle. I still have quite a bit of this fabric left and am hopeful I might be able to squeeze a Lady Skater dress out of it.
More pictures on my blog here
I managed to make a few things to show off before my sewing machine hopped aboard a ship and this Belladone is one of them. I made this almost straight after I had finished my Airelle Blouse because I was on a Deer&Doe kick, and because you know, new patterns are exciting! Especially when they are of the birthday present variety.
I used some amazing blue and black diagonal striped cotton, that actually has some one-way stretch in it that I hadn’t realised until I went to wash it. I was kind of annoyed, but got my Tim Gunn on and made it work!! Also, I really like the diagonal stripe. I think it’s quite unusual for fabrics these days who seem to prefer a vertical or horizontal stripe. Those fabrics are so missing out!
I made the dress almost straight out of the packet, except for a few minor things. I narrowed the shoulders, made the join at the top of the back bigger (I was worried about it possibly stretching out a little due to the stretch in the fabric), made the skirt longer and omitted the skirt hem facing, instead doing a simple rolled hem. I’ve never actually come across a skirt hem facing before, have you? Due to my time restrictions I opted to leave it off, but I think I’ll give it a go with my next Belladone (as there will be a next!).
I thought it would be fun to cut the waistband with the stripe going the other way, making a small lightning strike across the dress (well, I think it looks like a lightning strike…). Also, to break up all that diagonal stripey goodness, I think it needed it, otherwise there would be the possibility of too much stripe (can there be too much stripe?).
For more construction details and photos, head on over to my blog Jennifer Lauren.
As I was editing these photos, it occurred to me that this Colette Patterns Macaron looks a little like a modern version of Dorothy’s dress from The Wizard of Oz and that I really should have worn red shoes with it. Oh well, now I know what I’m going as to my next costume party, I just need to borrow a Toto from someone (can a black cat play Toto? We picked them up yesterday, hooray!!)…
I love this pattern, but first off, can we talk about the pockets? In-pleat pockets are officially my favourite kind of pocket! My mind is blown as to why I have never used them before, as it is, I’m quite sure I see a few Macaron skirts in my future. As some of the other challenge participants noted, the skirt is much more of a tulip shape than the pattern pictures make out and to be honest, that’s why I love it. The soft pleats are very flattering across your tummy when you’ve had a big lunch and they hide the deep pockets so well, you could keep all number of curiosities in them and no one would know.
I underlined the yolk/sleeve fabric with a plain white cotton to stop it being as see through and replaced the neck facing with white bias binding that I hand stitched to the underlining.
Overall, I found this pattern lovely to work with. The combination of fabrics you could choose for the dress are endless as well as the number of different changes you could make. The instructions are easy to follow and the dress doesn’t use a lot of fabric. In fact, I loved making this pattern so much that I hopped straight back to it and made a second Macaron for the Sew Weekly Reunion Challenge
right after I was done with this first version.
For more pictures and construction details, head on over to my blog Jennifer Lauren.