Inkdork

About a week ago I had this crazy idea. What if I made another half-circle skirt, but I made it fully reversible? Little did I know that it wouldn’t be as easy as I first thought when it popped into my head, but I made it work, and I think its pretty fab! I ended up having to use a separating zipper made for a coat, which was a challenge finding one the right color and length, but after that it was pretty smooth sailing!

The lighter fabric is not white- its actually a very pale pink with a tiny and delicate floral vines pattern all over it. The darker one, which I’m pretty sure you can see, its just pink scallops. I drafted the pattern myself, using the measurements kicked out by this awesome circle skirt calculator. My inspiration for this skirt is the one pictured here in this post from a week or two ago.

I look a fright, but I'm not one for wearing make-up when I'm just sitting home all day!

I was able to use up two fabrics I had a ton of in my stash that I had no idea what to do with (I originally intended a summer top but it never happened and I had accidentally ordered double the yardage I needed). I also made a matching (also fully reversible) purse to go with it. The purse is my own pattern design- its not vintage or even vintage inspired, but it goes with the skirt that is! LOL

I also made the button down shirt I am wearing in both photos a few weeks ago out of some other fabric I didn’t know what to do with. I’m really trying to pare down my stash this summer, both of fabrics and patterns, and have a lot of patterns listed for sale in my shop, mostly vintage.

You can see more about this fabulous skirt on my blog here.

 

 

{ 3 comments }

First, some background. Four years ago, right after I got my sewing machine, but before I started really sewing, I attempted to make this dress, the one shown in blue. I did such a horribly sloppy job cutting it, the skirt was all I could save from the pattern. There were literally inches of fabric that did not line up on the back of the originally cut bodice.

After about two years, I finished it as just a skirt, but it was pretty hideous- there’s no other way to describe it. Fast forward to this weekend. I pulled out the last of my black cotton broadcloth from my stash and I re-cut the bodice, this time going for the view on the right in white. I ripped out all the seams of the skirt and ironed them all. I re-stitched everything with French seams. I made a few changes to the design as I went (you can see them listed here on my blog) and when I was finished this afternoon, I had something not only wearable, but likeable.

The empire waist I ended up with and the cap sleeves along with the almost A-line skirt shape give this a kind of 70′s feel, similar to what you see here and here, though I think the shorter length is reminiscent of children’s dresses.

My fabric choices are far from that era though, and if I did this again, I’d still make the same changes I did to this now, but would choose less loud and busy pattern for my fabrics- probably a solid color. Either way, I have a feeling my altered version of this dress are more my style than the original intended design.

I’ve also just won a lot of 60 women’s patterns off of eBay for about $15. All I know about the lot is most of them are uncut, so maybe I’ll find some treasures in there when they arrive! I may have a pattern buying problem.

{ 6 comments }

Yesterday I post View A of this pattern here, and despite its currently wrinkled appearance, I had to make view C with its fitted bodice and fuller skirt. For those of you who commented on it, I do have an iron, just no place to use it, but I will have an ironing board on Wednesday. :)

View C of this dress has the same bodice as View A, but the skirt is wider and not fitted. I thought about including the faux belt detail on this one two, but instead opted to keep it as simple as possible. As I made it, there were only 4 pattern pieces- skirt front and back, and bodice front and back. And like View A, it was super easy to put together and I had a new dress in a few hours.

You can see more photos here on my sewing blog.

 

{ 2 comments }

I chose View A on the right.

Simplicity 3673 is a pattern I picked up because of its retro styling. I loved the idea of a jumper, but decided to just wear it as a dress once I finished it. This was one of the easiest patterns I have ever sewn, and I am beyond pleased with how it turned out- it looks just like the envelope images.

This dress is of a style I have wanted to wear for a long time, but wasn’t able to try until I had lost a lot of weight, and I’m happy to say I love it!

I used some deep wine cotton broadcloth I had in my stash or some time, making this a great $15 dress. I love when I get something so good for such a small investment!

I followed the directions almost all the way through, and only made one small change to the dress, and that was to add a large button to the center of the faux bow on the front.

Stop by my sewing blog here and see more photos of the dress.

Excuse my wrinkles, please!

{ 8 comments }