Hey everyone! Hope y’all are enjoying the summer (or the coming fall for our Aussie buds).
Pretty exciting news…. I recently released the pattern for the vintage style swimsuit I last posted here. I’ve been working on it all spring and I’m soooooo excited about it.
The Bombshell is modeled on a classic 1950′s silhouette, a style that harkens back to the golden era of flattering, sexy and (dare I say) modest swimsuits. The pattern includes 3 variations in 8 sizes: a gathered bust maillot, a halter neck, and a high waist bottom which you can mix and match with your favourite bikini top. Ruched on all sides and along the back center seam, the Bombshell hugs your curves while providing full (but sexy) coverage. Its booty encasing seat and skirt-like front ensure your butt is covered (literally), avoiding the dreaded 4-cheek butt-bulge of higher cut suits. Fully lined, it will keep you decent in or out of the water.
And guess what? It’s now for sale right here on We Sew Retro! It’s a downloadable PDF and it comes with a detailed set of illustrated instructions (including step by step photos), and two formats for the pattern, one on letter/A4, and the other in copy shop size. I am hosting a sewalong on my blog starting next week if anyone is nervous about sewing swimwear (it’s actually totally doable with a little guidance).
This is seriously the most flattering suit in the world and there is nothing else on the market like it…. I can’t wait to see your version!
I posted this one piece swimsuit a little over a month ago. I had worked out a pattern for the 50′s style pinup suit with ruching along the sides and back hems. For my second shot at swimwear, I wanted to make a high-waisted bikini.
I used a super luxurious Italian matte tricot designed for swimsuits. The bottom came together pretty easily (the trick is to reinforce your seams with clear elastic) and I whipped up the bikini top using a vintage pattern (Style 1558). It fits perfectly and is soooo comfortable. I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to wear a regular, modern swimsuit again.
You can see more info & images on my blog here.
Hello everyone! Hope you are enjoying your summers. I have long subscribed to the idea that a 50′s style swimsuit (one piece, low cut bottom) is the most flattering swimsuit ever created. I set out to recreate a$500 retro Norma Kamali suit using a vintage 80′s pattern and A LOT of pattern modification.
I used the wrong or matte side of a shimmery emerald tricot, lined the entire thing and encased all the edges in elastic. This was my first foray into swimwear and posed a heap of technical problems but I learned a lot! Not a perfect suit by any means but a great workable muslin to refine my techniques and pattern for the next version. Anyone interested in my process or wanting to see more photos can visit my blog here.
This dress was made from a re-released vintage Butterick pattern (#5605). I used a white and kelly green stripe cotton and wanted to play with the placement of the stripes. I made a chevron at the bust, placed stripes horizontally on the side gussets and tried to run the stripes vertically on the circle skirt, which resulted in some more chevrons.
I love vintage patterns but sometimes it’s fun to make them a little more modern by modifiying them. I shortened the sleeves and skirt and adding a matching exposed zipper. It doesn’t read as a 50′s design to me anymore but I like the result. I don’t think I love anything I’ve ever made as much as I love this dress. It’s so perfect for the summer and I feel like magic happens whenever I wear it.
This dress was a challenge to assemble – I have more info, photos and links of the resources I used to make it at my blog here.