Handmade Jane

This is my finished Sew for Victory dress which I’m SSOO pleased with!

The pattern I used was Du Barry 5384 from 1942, which was an absolute pleasure to sew. For fabric I used a charcoal grey lawn-like polka dot and underlined the whole dress with white silk cotton. The only changes I made were to shorten the hem by about two inches and to replace the side zip with a long, central back zip (I hate side zips, it’s just a personal gripe of mine!).

Not much more to add except I love, love, love it! More photos and construction details can be found on my blog: Handmade Jane. x

 

 

{ 9 comments }

This is my version of vintage Butterick 9206 – a tie or bow-necked blouse pattern from the 1950′s.

I used a very drapey fabric with a tiny gingham print and it was pretty easy to sew after I’d graded it down a size.

It’s turned out a little less obviously vintage looking than I was hoping – I think the drapey fabric gives it a more modern edge. But that’s fine, it means I can pair it with lots of items my wardrobe: denim capris, wide legged trousers or even shorts for the summer.  More photos and chat on my blog – Handmade Jane. x

{ 6 comments }

Ruby Wiggle Dress

by Handmade Jane on December 16, 2012 · 5 comments

in 1950s,Dresses

This is the Ruby dress, made from a fitted wiggle dress pattern from Eliza M’s Vintage Style Patterns. As the name suggests, the patterns all take their influences from vintage designs and, like vintage patterns, you choose them according to your size rather than having one multi-sized pattern. I used a polka dot stretch cotton, which is the perfect fabric for this style of 1950′s dress as it pulls you in and flatters the figure. I dispensed with facings and chose to fully line the dress instead – I’m glad i did as it not only looks neater but the extra slinky layer makes getting the dress on and off a lot easier!

I’m pleased with the final dress and as it’s sleeveless, I can see it being worn all year round. I just have to practice walking in it now – as the name suggests, it really does make you wiggle instead of walk!

More construction details and photos can be found on my blog, Handmade Jane. x

 

 

{ 5 comments }

This neat little skirt is made using Simplicity 3983 from 1952 and is a quick, easy make, having only one seam up the back!

I made mine in red polka dot corduroy and shortened it by a massive eight inches to give it a more modern look. The polka dots are quite subtle though and it can safely be teamed up with other prints (such as gingham!) without clashing too much. There are some nice vintage touches to the pattern, such as adding Petersham ribbon to the inside of the waistband – which I tried and liked a lot! The hip pockets are a pretty detail too and I’ll definitely be adding buttons to my next version as per version two.

I love the fit of it and can see myself coming back to this pattern again and again. More photos and construction details can be found on my blog Handmade Jane. x

{ 2 comments }