1950s | Children | Dresses | Jumpers / Pinafores

1950s girls’ pinafore

By on July 26, 2012

Yesterday I finished up this quick and easy pinafore for the little one. The pattern comes from a 1954 issue of Pins and Needles magazine, and I used a polycotton woven check fabric. The pattern uses a contrast fabric for the upper skirt and bib sections, but I chose to cut these on the bias instead to make use of the check design.

It fastens up the back with buttons, though I only made the waistband button functional. The straps cross at the back and button onto the waistband. I used vintage yellow buttons with a tiny flower detail to pick out the yellow in the fabric.

Back button detail:

I’ve shared the pattern on my blog too if anyone else want to make it, complete with elephant applique template.

1950s Embroidered Pinafore pattern

 

Continue Reading

1950s | Dresses | Vintage Sewing

Chambray shirt dress

By on June 21, 2012

I finally got round to making up my first 1950s shirt dress! I used a Butterick kimono sleeved blouse pattern for the bodice and drafted a 3/4 circle skirt pattern, cut in 4 gores, for the bottom. The fabric is a lovely grey cotton chambray that was only £1 a metre.

For closure, I used two vintage buttons that are 1.5″ across, with my first go at bound buttonholes due to their large size. I also added a short zip to the skirt for ease of dresing, and made a self-fabric belt with a vintage buckle that is an almost perfect match for the buttons; the colour is right but the pearling is different.

I’m really happy with the result. It’s comfy and cool enough for all day wear (the weather was pretty warm this day) and is lovely to wear. And, according to my two-year-old, makes a good tent.

More info and photos here.

Continue Reading

Children | Dresses

Smocked sundress

By on May 30, 2012

This is a hand smocked sundress I just finished up for my daughter. It’s a refashion from the skirt of one of my old dresses, which I had appliqued the cherries onto originally. The smocking took a couple of evenings work in front of the TV and was very enjoyable to do (after the slightly boring task of gathering). For my first go at this technique I’m very happy with the outcome!

The back is shirred with elastic by machine, and I used bias binding to finish the armscyes and add tie straps.

Detail of the smocking:

As always, more on my blog.

Continue Reading