Freya May

Hey guys!

My latest make is another project which used vintage cotton- I love working with vintage fabrics more than I like working with vintage patterns, couldn’t tell you why, exactly.

So, anyway, I found this fabric in my local vintage clothes shop which has a secret room full of old linens, notions and other awesome stuff! It was about 2.5m of fabric, and only 30″ wide.  I almost literally snatched it up, not that anyone else was in the room for competition, but for £5, I had to have it!

I didn’t have set plans for the fabric when I got it, so saved it until inspiration struck.  When I ordered the Airelle Blouse, by Deer and Doe, I had found the perfect project for the fabric and set to work as soon as the pattern arrived.  It makes the perfect match and I really enjoyed making this top.  I had no issues with the construction, and the fabric was a dream to work with. The result is a top I really love, which I’m pleased about as I fear wasting lovely vintage fabrics.  I’ve owned the finished top for about a week, and have worn it three times already!


 

For more information and a couple more photos, check out my blog- thedressmakingdiaries.blogspot.com

 

{ 3 comments }

So I’m working on a couple of WIP that I let fall by the wayside over the summer and have finally finished a sun dress I cut out months ago!


I used a vintage curtain I found in a charity shop about a year ago to make this dress- I loved the fabric so much so I wanted to wait until I’d decided on the perfect thing to make with it.  I’m glad I did because I really love this dress.  I’m pleased with its finish, I’ve only just learnt to bind the inside hems and love how it looks!

The bodice is made from Simplicity 4070, and the skirt is a rectangle piece I played around with until I got the pleats right.

It’s a totally shame I have to put this away until next spring/summer, but it really is just too cold to wear right now!

For more photos and construction info, check out my blog – The Dressmaking Diaries

 

{ 6 comments }

Hi! This is my first post on We Sew Retro and I’m super exited to share with you my latest project :)

I am quite lucky finding vintage patterns in charity shops for cheap, plus I’ve been blessed with lots of them as gifts once friends and family hear I’m into dressmaking. I now have quite a collection of vintage patterns to work through so hope to share more with you in the future.

This dress I made with a 1965′s pattern (dated by vintage pattern wiki) and made up with a cotton lawn I was given for my birthday back in may.

 

 

 

 

I usually go for more full skirted dresses, but this has made a nice change and I’m warming to the shift dress style more and more as I wear this.

It’s a simple construction, and was quite quick to put together, ignoring my fitting gaffs. All in all, a successful vintage inspired make!

For more details and to check out more of my makes, visit my blog :D

{ 7 comments }