Frances

I made a new playsuit!

I’ve been wanting to make another playsuit in fun colors ever since last summer’s adventure, and when I saw a watermelon print fabric at Joann’s I snapped up the last few yards that were left on the bolt.

I ended up compiling four patterns to get the basic pieces:  Simplicity 4395 and Vogue 3282 for the bodice and Simplicity 3688 and Butterick 7761 for the shorts.  I also put together a simple dirndl skirt without a pattern.

I’m super pleased with how it came out… I really like the high waisted shorts, and the watermelon fabric is such fun.  I even made a little matching belt out of an old cheapy kid’s belt from Target.  It’s a little messy, but it will do for now.  I’ll definitely make the shorts again, although I may lengthen the inseam a smidgen!  I’m also thinking of making another top option out of my remaining watermelon fabric & opinions on that would be awesome.

More pictures of the play version, the dress version, and the construction details can be found on my blog!

{ 10 comments }

I’m (mostly) happy with how this dress project turned out.  I had just enough fabric from a friend to squeak it out, and it’s still not totally done (it’s missing a hook and eye and one dang button), but I’m pretty pleased.

The main problem I had was that once I’d gotten the whole dress together, nothing I did would convince the collar to look like the pattern picture!  I ended up folding it over and tacking it down instead, and I can see now that I need to tack it down a little further, because it got pretty rumpled in the test wearing.  I’d really like to make the view with the front scallop detail once the weather warms up a bit… at least that one has a straightforward neckline.

More pictures and babbling on my blog.  And, uh, if anyone sees another green heart button like these, let me know, will you?  I’ve only got six, and I need seven.

{ 10 comments }

When my fiance and I moved to Massachusetts for school, I knew that one thing I wanted to purchase or make was a very warm housecoat.  I’d purchase the pattern for Butterick 7461 last summer and made the shorter version out of a kimono that my mother and I made while I was in junior high, and the fit and style were great and the pattern was quick and easy (like it says on the package!) so I figured it would be perfect for making a longer housecoat.

I procrastinated on the hand finishing for ages, but… it’s DONE!!  And I love it to bits and wear it constantly.  For more construction details and lots more pictures, keep reading…

[click to continue…]

{ 39 comments }

 

Hello!  I haven’t posted in a good while, but now that summer is, sigh, on its way out… I figured I ought to stop waiting to get “the perfect pictures” and share my summer sewing project.

Since I couldn’t find (or afford!) the real deal, I was on a quest to create a 1940s/50s -inspired playsuit.  I have an entire Pinterest board dedicated to the brainstorming process (plus more on my sewing board before I realized that things were getting out of hand…), but what inspired me most were these “Weekend Wardrobe” sets that Charlotte of Tuppence Ha’penny posted about here.

I have a million pictures, and I could not make my mind up about which ones to include, so I’m going to put the rest of them and the rest of my shpeal behind a cut here so that I don’t take up the whole page! [click to continue…]

{ 18 comments }