1910s | 1930s | 1950s | 1970s | Dresses | Pattern Drafting | Vintage Sewing

The great white dress

By on December 17, 2015

Hi all you wonderful crafting & sewing fellows!

It’s crazy, I haven’t posted anything in here for years, but the great big white deserves a mention, methinks 😉


My inspirations for this dress was all over the place. I was looking at Edwardian wedding gowns, 1930’s drapes and flowy sleeves, 1950’s circle skirts and 1970’s hippie layers and lace stuff… You can imagine the confusion and headaches I had over design choices!

In the end I went for a completely self drafted design, with added details from all the periods I was inspired by, and I think it worked pretty well! I used my standard bodice pattern for starters, cut it up to find the “perfect seam lines” (and of course that meant having a seven-piece bodice. Smart), and then made a few muslins to try to perfect it.


The skirt is four layers – four different fabrics – full circle.

IMG_1284cFor a bunch more pictures, come over here: http://sewewellyn.blogspot.se/2015/12/finally-wedding-dress-pictures.html

And here’s the post with some of my inspiration: http://sewewellyn.blogspot.se/2015/05/wedding-dress-inspiration.html


Continue Reading

Blouses | Pattern Drafting | Vintage Sewing

Peasant Blouse, self drafted

By on January 10, 2012

After summing up 2011 and realizing how many dresses I made (and how many times they were used…) I decided that 2012 will be a year of more separates. Thus, sewing project no.1 was a blouse. To keep it simple after all my advanced dress sewing for the holidays, I drafted a simple peasant blouse. Here’s how it came out!



I based my drafting mainly on these lovely pattern envelopes, McCall 6625 from 1946, and Advance 5856 (year unknown).




For a bunch of more pictures and a lot of more text, visit me on my blog here:


Continue Reading

1940s | Dresses | Pattern Drafting | Vintage Sewing

Self drafted dress in the style of Dior’s 1947 New Look

By on December 30, 2011

Today I finished my longest and most complicated sewing project ever. I got my hands on a lot of amazing fabric and decided it was time to make that dream dress, the Dior New Look dress!

I drafted the whole thing from scratch, using my own constructed pattern. Here’s how it came out!

I documented a lot of the process in my blog, and there are massive amounts of pictures. Take a look if you like!


Continue Reading

1960s | Dresses

The “Christmas as in the old days” dress

By on December 3, 2011

For once I finished something early, here’s my dress for this years Christmas!

The dress is made from vintage cotton sheets, inspired by the works of Swedish painter Carl Larsson.

The pattern I used is McCall’s 7101, dated 1963, I won it in a giveaway!

For a lot more pictures, both of the dress and some inspiration sources, and a lot more ramblings about Christmas and sewing, take a look here: http://sewewellyn.blogspot.com/2011/12/christmas-as-in-old-days-dress.html

Continue Reading

1920s | Lingerie | Vintage Sewing

1920’s slip

By on November 12, 2011

My latest sewing is this 1920’s slip! I drafted a pattern, or well, who am I kidding, I cut two squares in about the right size and then I improvised from there. All the fabrics and notions were already in my stash.

There are more pics, text and and some Bessie Smith for soundtrack over at my blog, http://sewewellyn.blogspot.com/

Continue Reading

1980s | Dresses

A little re-intro and my latest sewing

By on October 30, 2011


So, I was sharing my sewing projects with you all over at “the old” Sew Retro, and now I finally got to re-register at this new site!

For those of you who don’t know me yet, let me introduce myself briefly: I’m Ewa, born and living in Sweden, and I have been sewing and crafting for pretty much all my life. Over the last years I’ve become more and more devoted to my sewing, and today my goal is to sew almost all garments (except underwear) I want instead of buying them (I do a lot of swapping with other likewise inclined ladies as well instead of buying new). I have always loved vintage fashion, and I like to make clothes from all kinds of styles and periods.

My latest sewing was for Halloween, I went with a vintage 1980s sweatshirt fabric and made a self drafted mini dress, to create the look of a creepy crazy doll. Here’s how it turned out:

If you’re curious about what I’m sewing when I’m not making costumes, or just want to see more pictures of this one, feel very welcome to take a look on my blog, Sew Ewellyn

Continue Reading