ette

I spotted Hollywood

by ette on July 7, 2014 · 16 comments

in 1930s,Dresses

Last year in late autumn I spotted a beautiful Bette Davis Pattern on etsy, Hollywood 1221, published in 1934. And my boyfriend was so kind to give it to me as a christmas-present.

I already copied the pattern a few days after the holidays (because the pattern is so old I don’t want to use the original pattern pieces anymore), but it wasn’t until a few weeks ago I finally decided for a fabric and started cutting.

DSC_0779

The choice of fabric wasn’t that intelligent in hindsight. I used1,5m of a white spotted green cotton print I bought a few years ago in the odds-and-ends-box of a nearby fabric store that doesn’t exist anymore. I chose it because I thought it was close enough to the spotted fabric on the envelope drawing and could look good (but it is not really appropriate for this time, in the sewing magazines I own polka dots don’t appear earlier than late 30ies, in earlier issues I only found them to be used for children’s clothing).
For this project it was just enough, I had to cut the lower back in two pieces, otherwise it wouldn’t have fit.

DSC_0777

Well, the resulting dress is really…dotty. The matching of the pattern is at some seams better than at others, unfortunately where it didn’t fit was in the centre front (in contrast to the text on the linked page, it is a two-piece skirt. There is no seam in the pleat and I didn’t think of adjusting the width of it to match the dots).

 

DSC_0786

 

The pattern asked for two zippers, on at the side and one in the centre back. I used a white nylon zipper in the neck and a light cream one in the side seam (because I had them in stock, I do know they aren’t authentic for the 30ies)  Both zipper-seams are hand-sewn as is the hem.

DSC_0783

I used white thread for all seams, this seemed to be a better match than green one.

The size is a straightforward 12, only thing I changed is I shortened the hem by 7cm.

Because the pattern was too weird with the stomacher in between I applied a rest of white cotton ribbon after having already finished it, now it is a lot better.

 

DSC_0784

 

I used every bit of it. As you see, it wasn’t enough to attach it on both ends of the stomacher-part in the back as well, the rest I had was just enough to form the button-loop for a button in the neck above the zipper.

DSC_0782

As I said, I didn’t change anything. Like the most american patterns, the seam allowance is  included, something still unusual for me (it is uncommon in europe), because it makes it difficult for me to imagine how large it will be in the end (and in this case it was difficult to match the fabric pattern as well). When looking at the result it seems as if the bodice is a little too long, when making it again I should try to shorten the stomacher-part.

DSC_0780

I hope you like it!

DSC_0776

 

So much for today, love

ette

{ 16 comments }

A 1940ies winter coat

by ette on March 16, 2014 · 7 comments

in 1940s,Coats

This project took what felt like forever and were in fact three years. In autumn and early winter I never had time to finish it and after christmas motivation was gone because I so longed for spring.

It was one of the first vintage pattern I ever bought and I had no experience in sewing with these at all. This led to a number of mistakes and a wrong sizing, most of them clearly visible in the final coat, at least to me.

Fabric is a felted cotton, the lining matches the colour of the burgundy bias binding accentuating the front seams. Pattern is a 40ies Beyer-Pattern, the coat is meant to be a “traditional style”-coat and with it came patterns for different dresses, blouses and skirts, all in “dirndl”-style.

An enumeration of all the things that went wrong as well as more photos can be found on my blog www.parvasedapta.ch.

Thank you very much for reading, love

ette

 

{ 7 comments }

Hello!

This is my first post here on WeSewRetro. I have read this blog for months and love the projects presented here, now I finally decided to join the party :-)

The project I want to show to you comes from a 1942 issue of “Frau und Mode” (= Wife and Fashion), a Swiss magazine. It was given as a supplement with another Magazine and contains mainly knitting patterns or pictures of dresses, for which you could order paper patterns, so unfortunately there are only very few sewing patterns in it.

This set consists of a culotte and a cape. I only made the former because I couldn’t think of any occation to wear this cape. The cut parts to enlarge and the instructions (in german) can be found on my blog.

I went for a coarse linen istead of the waterproof fabric the pattern suggested, planning to wear it in the summer and not as a cycling-outfit for rainy days, though that’s what it was designed for (the Headline says “For our female cyclists”).

I love the vertical seam originating at the belt, making a step to form the pocket and going all the way down to the hem. It is better to see in the drawing than in the photos.

The pleats only open in the bottom half, as you can see in the photo. It’s a little weird, because the crotch seam and the seam closing the pleat form kind of a triangle, which is a little difficult to press, but doesn’t show when worn.

From the side it really looks like a skirt:

I hope you like it, you will find more photos on my blog, see you soon, love

ette

{ 12 comments }