A long time ago (just over one year ago actually) I signed up for Rochelle’s Sew For Victory Sewalong. I chose to make not one, but two dresses. Needless to say, only one got made in time and the second was put on hold…until about a month ago. Here she is in all her glory: a little Forties dress in a mustard yellow and teal on white seersucker. Between the pockets and the print, she’s definitely one of my favourite makes!
Here’s a close up of the pattern and the fabric. I have so many ideas for alternate versions of this dress, it was just that much fun to make. I might even include the bow next time!
There’s a bit more info. about this make on my blog along with this year’s Sew For Victory 2.0 project, which I will post here as soon as it’s done which will hopefully be soon…the deadline is tomorrow and I haven’t even started! Eeek!
Well that was an ordeal! I won’t go into all of the details here but the Coles Notes version is that this entire dress was sewn on my 1915 Singer treadle machine. Yep. Treadle. It was definitely a learning experience! If you’re interested in reading about my little island of chaos, you can read about it here.
The outside of the dress turned out well, but the inside resembles a dog’s breakfast. I’m probably exaggerating a little bit but it definitely doesn’t have the neat and tidy seams that I usually obsess over! All in all it’s definitely wearable and I’m really happy with the pattern! I’ll definitely be making it again.
Here’s a close up of the fabric and of the ric rac detailing. The fabric and notions were all from my stash, so I have no idea what the fabric content is, but it’s lovely and soft and has enough stretch to it to allow me to forego the side zip.
It’s been amazing seeing all of your creations and to have the chance to get to know a few of my lovely “Sewalongers.” You ladies amaze me!
I decided to join in on the “Sew For Victory” Sewalong at Lucky Lucille. I’m a little late to the game, but figured that not only would I do my best to finish the dress in time, but that I would make not one but two Forties dresses! I may turn out to have bitten off more than I can chew, but we’ll see!
This will be the first dress I make:
I’ll be making the short-sleeved dress on the left and will be omitting the jacket for now, although I have enough fabric to make both…we’ll see.
As the pattern envelope was water damaged and the size had worn away, I made a muslin of the pattern to see how much adjusting I would have to do. I went into detail on this on a rather long-winded post on my blog, but I’ll save you from all my nattering here – in short, it turned out to be about one size too small and aside from that it only required my usual Short Back and Full Arm adjustments. I was able to omit the Full Bust Adjustment due to the gathers on the bodice.
I find this pattern really interesting because the gathers at the bust and on the sleeve are just sliced out of the fabric, gathered and sewn back in, rather than pieced separately and added. I think this would be an interesting way to add pleat detailing to a dress as well…I may have to experiment at some point!
I’ll post again when I’ve got everything cut out and pieced together. I think I’ll be quite pleased with this dress!
This will be the second dress I make…if I don’t run out of time. I’ll be making the dress on the right, in the vintage Seersucker you see below it. Fingers crossed!
Elle Buckle Vintage
Hello everyone! After a very, very long period of lurking around this blog and being continually amazed by the incredible creations all of you have posted, I decided to come out of the woodwork.
This is my first make of 2013. I started working on it in 2012 and ran into some problems with the facing due to cryptic pattern instructions. It hung forlornly in our bedroom for weeks until I decided to take a deep breath and finish it up this past week. Phew! Has anyone else given Butterick 7503 a try? The version with the wiggle skirt and Peter Pan collar is in my to-do list now, but as I mentioned on my blog, I will definitely do some of the pattern adjustments I inexplicably decided to leave out on this make. If 2012 was the year of throwing caution to the wind (in my sewing life anyway,) 2013 will be the year of actually thinking through my projects before leaping into them blindly.
Here’s the info. on this pattern:
Fabric: Vintage cotton-blend, earth-toned floral pattern – thrifted for probably less than $5.00
Pattern: Butterick 7503 View C
Here’s a closeup of the fabric I used…
…and here’s a detail of View C of Butterick 7503.
I’m excited to be a part of this lovely group of vintage fans and I look forward to reading about all of your incredible projects!
Elle Buckle Vintage