Draped in Cloudlets

A few weeks ago I decided to begin sewing this years summer wardrobe and I just finished another garment – Retro Butterick B5708, a sweet early 50s dress. I used a deep blue cotton with a weaving pattern that looks like wood grain and a white poly blend for the lining of the bodice. The dress is very pretty but the pattern has a few issues. The bows can be tied multiple ways, for example off-the-shoulder or the way I did it. That’s a very nice idea but the problem is that all these variants use the same pattern. This results in a much to wide neckline when you tie the dress on the shoulders. I therefore sewed several darts and it’s ok like this but still a bit too revealing… apart from that I was not happy with how the darts looked like and decided to use embroidery to cover them up. My boyfriend created a very pretty Art Nouveau/ Rick Griffin inspired pattern and so I stitched for the first time in several years and am very happy with it. The second problem is that there is too much fabric at the lower end of the costal arch, there is a small fold at the back and front of the dress. Others had the same problem with this pattern and the version on the Butterick website looks not quite right as well… as the bodice consists of three parts I have no clue how to take it in, does anyone have an idea? However, I still like the dress a lot and look forward to wearing it when summer arrives!

More about my sewing projects on my blog, Draped in Cloudlets.

 

{ 14 comments }

This dress is not based on an actual vintage pattern but I still had a very “vintage” look in mind. After I recently found out how much I enjoy to more consciously “design” my sewing projects I decided to approach my next project in a different way, more or less without a fixed pattern and with lots of time to come up with my own ideas. In the last weeks I sewed my christmas dress with these principles in mind – and it was so much fun! I had bought the lilac wool last spring and combined it with different ribbons and pieces of lace. The skirt is based on my usual beloved dirndl “pattern” but I added a horizontal pleated part. Back and front are decorated with the same ribbons but in a different manner. For the cape I used Sew Vera Venus wonderful free mini cape pattern. I used a light iron-on interfacing and added lace to the collar and the seams. Both the skirt and the cape are lined with a cream colored fabric, I usually skip this part but it feels quite luxurious. The cape’s buttons are closed with a simple frog fastening (is this the correct term? I am referring to this kind of closure.), I made it with a piece of ribbon from the skirts back. I finally made a headband from a leftover wool  scrap and adorned it with another piece of ribbon. As a result I will look like a vintage Lolita/Alice on christmas eve – not the worst thing that could have happened I guess? Anyway – I wish you a very happy christmas and am curious to see more christmas dresses appearing here in the next two weeks (-:

You can find a few more pictures are on my blog, Draped in Cloudlets.

{ 7 comments }

The cold season has finally arrived here in Germany – it was less then 10 degrees celsius today and my favorite ice-cream parlor closed for this year, both makes me kind of sad. There is only one advantage of this weather: I finally got around to sewing again in the last days and made a new skirt. I got the olive-grey coloured fabric from my 80 year old colleague at work (she told me that it is a curtain from the 70s) and had a very clear idea what I would like to do with it, but the first version I made was pretty disappointing: the wide pleats that I had made draped not very well, the two large, lace covered pockets looked stuffy and the skirt had a strange length. I undid everything, gathered the fabric instead of pleating it and added a border of a somewhat strange, semi-transparent fabric to the hem. This was already much better but there was still something missing, I did a quick image search for the terms skirt, steampunk and lolita and found the solution – trims and bows! I have always adored baroque and abundant styles but strangely never thought about this concept in regard of my sewing projects and I am so happy that I finally did. I toned down the look a bit with some vintage items and wore it today with a traditional bavarian blazer (I would love to be able to sew things like this!), leather gloves and a vintage scarf with, well, bows (-:

You can find a few more pictures on my blog, Draped in Cloudlets.

{ 4 comments }

I finally made a blouse to match the suspender skirt that I sewed a few weeks ago and chose the same black fabric for the collar of the blouse that I had used for the skirt. I had bought the black and white floral cotton at the beginning of summer at the fabric market in Cologne and had already found the pattern some months ago on Etsy, it’s from 1953. It was a lucky find – the blouse fits me very well and was easy to put together. It took some time to sew the all in all 12 darts but it was well worth the time – I like the silhouette a lot. This blouse also features my first handpicked zipper, I am very happy with the result and probably won’t sew any zippers with my machine any more. The pattern also calls for a zipper at the back but I just used a hook and eye instead – two zippers seem a bit to much for a simple blouse (-:

See a few more pictures on my blog, Draped in Cloudlets.

{ 6 comments }