Draped in Cloudlets

Sorry for posting so soon again but the weather is so horrible here right now that there is plenty time for sewing pretty dresses (-: In an effort to forgot the dreadful storms that we had here I sewed another „I wish it was summer“ dress.  I used Buttericks B5509 pattern from the Making History series as a basis. I had already bought it months ago as I love all options of this set and would like to sew all of them (albeit as dresses and not as aprons as they are meant to be). I got the flower fabric at Alfatex and decided to use it for pattern D, a cute empire-waist dress. The fabric is very transparent and therefore I lined the whole dress in white fabric. I guess I still should not stand directly in the sun but as the we don’t have much sun right now that doesn’t matter much… The fit of the dress is pretty perfect and it is cleverly constructed, I just had to think about how to transform an apron into a dress. It was actually super simple – I just closed the back seam and sewed a zipper on. The bodice is open on the back and is tied with a ribbon, which feels very airy and summery. Empire-waist dresses always remind me a bit of maternity fashion and also the finished dress looked a bit too plain for me and so I bought green pseudo-velour ribbon to counteract this and to make the dress a bit more graphical. I also gathered the hem on the front and back side and added a bows – and I am so happy with the finished silhouette!

You can find a few more pictures on my blog, Draped in Cloudlets (-:

{ 2 comments }

Already in spring I had found this really cute parrot fabric at Alfatex and promptly had the idea to make a summery, 1950s playsuit inspired set with it (minus the shorts). The fabric is quite see-through so I decided to make a slip first and bought off-white elastical synthetic fabric (also at Alfatex). I used the slip pattern that is part of Retro Butterick B5920 as a basis but changed it quite a lot – I took the waist in and made a tiered skirt because I wanted it to be more petticoat-like. I really like the slip but I am pretty disappointed by the fabric I used, it is flimsy, get’s damaged and crinkles easily, not exactly great for a undergarment (or any garment, come to speak of it). I had even asked the  salesperson for advice because I have no experiences with elastic fabrics but I guess she had no idea either, next time I will research for myself (and there will be a next time, I’d love to make a black slip next!). I used the parrot fabric to make a skirt and a top – the skirt is a simple dirndl skirt with a zipper and the top is self-drafted. I am almost completely happy with this top pattern by now – it has enough ease to be easily put on even with a non-elastic fabrics and is still fitted enough to look nice. I used black bias-binding on the armholes and the neckline to echo the skirts black waistband and added a few black buttons just for fun. I wore this for the first time last weekend and shivered a lot – unfortunately summer is taking a break here right now :-) I really hope that the sun will reappear soon!

You can see a few more images on my blog, Draped in Cloudlets :-)

{ 7 comments }

A few years ago I got a beautiful skirt as a present that was 40s/50s inspired and had a high waist and was buttoned at the front (it was likely inspired by skirts like thisthisthis and this). I loved this skirt a lot and literally wore it to death and intended to sew a similar skirt ever since. I did not use a pattern for this project as it consists of only three rectangular parts – a waistband with iron on interfacing, a large piece of fabric that is gathered at the sides and the back and a button border. I also used lots of Ric-Rac trim – it was a bit annoying to sew it on but I always wanted to try out this technique and really adore how it looks like. I added another piece of fabric to the hem to show of the rid-rac trim even more (I also like the slightly lower hemline better). As I had been looking for a beige skirt for ages I used a beige cotton that wrinkles a bit but not too much. The buttons are also beige and have a pretty moiré pattern.

As usual you can find a few more details and photographs on my blog, Draped in Cloudlets!

{ 3 comments }

About a year ago I rediscovered sewing as a hobby and made a blouse after Burda’s retro 1950s  pattern Nr. 7255 and shortly after that another one because I was so enthusiastic about it. Unfortunately I was much less happy with my second version - the cheap polyester fabric that I used had small blemishes and made the blouse look like a blouson because of it’s drape. I hid it away in my closet and only found it again a few weeks ago – and noticed that it is not that bad at all. I would of course change a few things if I would make it again – the bust dart is a bit too high and the collar not perfectly set in, also I would take in some of the excess fabric at the waist and back (why all Burda patterns that are designed for fabrics without stretch are way to big is beyond me…). But apart from that the blouse is pretty cute and absolutely wearable in the nice spring weather that we have here.

A few more pictures are on my blog, Draped in Cloudlets!

{ 3 comments }