Debbie

Simplicity 1443 UNCUT Vintage 50s Adorable Baby Infant Layette Sewing Pattern with Embroidery Transfer One Size

I’ve posted an infant dress from view 2 of this pattern.  I like it enough I decided to make it bigger.  My first try at making it a size two was so big that with the hem let down it fit a size 6.  I did a second one and got closer to size two.  The photo shows the dress before hemming.  I feel I am not done with these yet.  Sash maybe?   The smaller dress needs a brighter accent, but I am proud of the bias binding I zigzagged around the sleeve openings.  I make the neck opening with a casing and tie so the neckline is adjustable.  These dresses should grow at least 2 years.  Maybe more.

Any thoughts on the styling?  My idea is something between the simplicity of a pillowcase dress but more attractive than most peasant dresses.

{ 2 comments }

A friend cleaned out their old family home and gifted me with the patterns she found.  This is the oldest, note no markings on the patterns.  From a day when everyone sewed and knew what to do!  : )

The good stuff on the back…

I like this pattern because of the wider shorts like legs.  More comfy for chubby baby thighs.  The back needed elastic and the straps were long, so I made them adjustable.  Here it is part way done being modeled for adjustments.  I sewed up the sides for this, to make sure it was OK before adding snaps and that gave me the idea to make a second one without snaps.

And the finished sunsuit…

And the second sample…

What do you think?  Snaps or no snaps?

{ 17 comments }

I used this pattern to make a party dress for a one year old.

The older patterns certainly used more fabric.  Look at this layout.

Detailed finishing inside.  Nice!

And the finished dress

And two sunsuits from the same pattern

{ 7 comments }

I posted the sunsuits I made from this pattern a while back.  It’s been too long since I made a new vintage style, but this week I finally put together this little pinafore dress.

I love the little cap sleeves.  It took me quite a few tries to figure out how to bind the edges.  Worth it in the end, as shown below.  I adjusted this pattern so it has an adjustable neckline.  It is a layette item and will fit at least as small as 3 months, if not younger.  I tried it on a six month baby and then just for fun on the three year old sister.  It was really cute on both.  As the child grows the neckline expands and the dress becomes a top to wear with shorts.  So sweet!

I’m not really sure about the back ties.  The original calls for bias tape.  I do not like the ribbon that is currently sold, but I liked the lighter weight of it.  I ended up with these self fabric ties, something like the bias called for, but wider.  Not sure how I will do the next one.

And finally, another boy sunsuit.

 

 

 

 

 

{ 5 comments }