Claire

Hi, I actually made this dress last December and it was my ‘Christmas dress’.  It’s made from a pattern I bought off ebay and the dark purple jersey fabric was bought to make this dress.

This is the pattern.  I made view C but with sleeves from view A.  I did lower the neck a little as it was quite high and I also had to draft a back bodice as it was missing!  I used the back facing and the front bodice and a bodice piece from another pattern to help me draft it.

I needed to make the bottom half of the dress wider to accommodate my big bum ;-)   (English pear)  My waist and hips are always 2 dress sizes larger than my bust.

I decided to make the skirt a bit A line so I could take out the split at the back.  This was simple – I just took the hem out about 2″ at each side and drew a line up to the hip on the pattern.

Don’t you think the girl in the centre has fab hair?  If only mine would do that!….

I am in love with invisible zips and have used one on this dress too.  I don’t have a ‘proper’ invisible zip foot so I just use my normal zipper foot and my finger nail to hold the zip in the right position while I sew it.

The rouleau strip really finished this dress and was great at hiding the tiny miss match with my zip and under bust seam.  So now no one knows it’s there – except you!

I decided against lining this dress but do like to have some sort of lining or slip because isn’t it awful when skirts stick to your tights?!  I thought it would be quite groovy to keep the vintage vibe going and make a full length slip.  I can also wear it with other things too.  This is what I made out of black silk which was not easy to sew on my machine….errrr!  Tension issues I think and I hate fiddling with the tension on my machine because it doesn’t seem to like it.  I worked French seams and hand finished a lot of this slip.  It has a placket on the left side seam with poppers.

 

I drafted the pattern from an Enid Gilchrist book.  I love these books!

I hope you like my dress and underslip.  Thank you for reading.

 

 

 

 

{ 8 comments }

 

Hi, this is me in a jumper dress I made recently using Simplicity 6555 from 1966.

I really like the shaping on the front bodice.  I needed to move the bust darts down slightly on my muslin.  Glad I made one!  I only made a bodice muslin and only half of one at that.  But it was enough to check for fit.  The fabric looks a bit shiny thanks to my camera flash.  In real life it isn’t so shiny.

 

The back is quite simple but I’m pleased with the fit.  I used an invisible zip as I prefer the clean line they give.

This is my copy of the pattern.  The envelope is a little ‘dog eared’ but the pattern itself is OK.

I made a different belt to on the pattern.  I used the instructions on ‘Jennifer Lauren Vintage’ Bow belt tutorial.  I think it finishes off this dress perfectly.  It makes it a bit cute but not too cute!

I’d like to make this dress again but for summer.  I may play around with the bodice pieces as it could be interesting… using stripes maybe?

 

 

 

{ 6 comments }

Hi everyone.

This top is one I made recently using a pattern from ‘Subversive Femme’ on Etsy.  She emails the pattern to you and you print it off and stick it together – easy!

It only uses a yard of fabric and I had this left over from a skirt I made several years ago.  I think the fabric is a vintage one?  I remember buying it at a car boot sale and being very happy with my bargin.

The pattern is to fit 34 – 36″ bust.  I made it as the instructions but then had to gather it a bit more on the top edge due to my lack of bust ;-)   I measure 34″ but really small – he he!

Anyway…. the top was easy to put together and I lined it which was also easy.  I stitched the lining and main fabric together around the edges and treated them as one fabric as all the edges of this top are finished with bias binding.  I made my own bias out of the lining fabric.  It wasn’t too much of a hardship at all.

The back is really lovely on this but I can’t wear a bra with it.  Ok really for mega hot weather!

This picture shows my lining in white polycotton.  As suggested on the pattern I added boning to the sides.  Luckily I had some in my stash.  It is a plastic boning that I stitched in place near the side seams to the lining before putting it all together.  It works well at keeping the top up.

This piccie is just to show you more detail and the gorgeous fabric!  In case the colours don’t show too well for you it is white with dark green leaves and teal flowers.

Thank you for reading x

{ 9 comments }

Hi everyone!  I recently bought this pattern and decided to give it a go in a cotton fabric I’ve had in my stash for several years.  I bought the fabric in a 2nd hand shop for the grand price of £1.  This pattern is for a 36″ bust and I’m a 34″ bust so I had to alter the size a bit.  I also needed to add 2″ to the waist measurements.

The waist fits me lovely but unfortunately even with my adjustments the top half of the dress just didn’t fit right at all.  The back was OK but the front just hung on me and you couldn’t see my bust at all!  :-(    What I did was stand in the mirror with my pins and I pinned the front whilst it was on me.  Instead of the gathered darts I altered it to have a curve right across the front but still keeping the gathers over my bust.  I took over an inch of fabric vertically from the front of the dress.  It fits me so much better and now the shape of my boobies can be seen!

I used some vintage mother of pearl buttons from my stash.  I like the fact that they are quite big.

On this photo you can just about see where I made the curve to fit.

I’m happy with this dress.  I wore it last weekend to my partners parents and his mum commented on how summery I looked :-)

 

 

 

{ 9 comments }