brocobelle

I had wanted to work this little Crinoline Miss embroidery from one of my 1930s needlework books & thought this pretty green linen (from a set of vintage napkins) was the perfect background.

I then decided to make a pair of 1930s style baby shoes & adapted a pattern for a pair of quilted shoes from another vintage needlework book - I embroidered little floral sprays in the same colours as the Crinoline Miss on the toes, lined the shoes in pink quilting cotton & buttonholed round the top edges.

Finally, I used the linen scraps along with some other offcuts from my fabric stash to make a new outfit for a little vintage wooden doll who was looking rather too shabby and not at all chic.  I cut her clothes apart, pressed them flat & photocopied them to make patterns for her new outfit.  I was particularly pleased with the jaunty little green linen jacket!

{ 7 comments }

What to do with a vintage St Michael satin foulard in a divine paisley in rich tones of turquoise, taupe and lapis which sadly has several areas of perfume staining to the centre?  Plus, could I turn it into a longer style scarf as I must admit I don’t tend to wear square scarves these days?  I loved the colours and textile of this scarf, and fancied trying to make a ruffled scarf, so yesterday evening out came the scissors, the rule and some narrow elastic.  I wanted to make a 40s inspired ruffled scarf (a bit in the manner of the ruffled dickies of the time) to wear with my latest purchase of a fab vintage style faux fur jacket.  This was a very speedy sewing project and really pleased with how it turned out.  Looking forward to wearing it later today!  Please visit me at my blog for instructions on how to make this.

{ 3 comments }

Never able to resist buying an “interesting” piece of textile – no matter that in this case it was in the form of a Hawaiian shirt with more than a few rips and tatters – this palm tree beach print had always suggested a South Pacific inspired outfit.  I had bought this lovely vintage 50s halter top pattern – Butterick 6136 – a while back and realised it would be just right for this project.

The pattern needed some long bias strips to face the edges but there wasn’t enough textile to complete this.  My solution was to make the halter completely reversible and use an old denim shirt I had kept since the 90s for the reverse.

The halter fastens with buttons on the back and to solve the problem of button fastenings on both sides, I used a tip from one of my vintage 1940s needlecraft books.  This 40s tome suggested working a set of buttonholes down both edges of a garment and then stitching the buttons onto a length of ribbon so that the buttons would fasten through both sets of buttonholes and could simply be moved to the other side.  The original suggestion was to enable buttons to be removed easily before laundry back in those days when everything was so scarce.

Hope you are all enjoying your bank holiday weekend. Bye for now. Karen x

 

 

{ 3 comments }

Wanted to share a little festive 30s style felt flower corsage I have sat and stitched this afternoon.

Today’s corsage follows on from the 40s felt flower I made yesterday.

 It wasn’t too long before an inquisitive little dog jumped up to see what was going on ….

{ 6 comments }