Hi guys and gals!
I’ve finally finished making Gertie’s Shaheen-inspired sarong dress (Butterick B6019) and I hope you like it!
This pattern was HARD! If you want the full story, it’s on my blog here.
The fabric is an indigenous hand-printed cotton from the Babbarra Women’s Centre, available from Spotlight (Australia).
The dress definitely needed a little bolero, and Butterick 6087 (from 1952) looked like a good match.
While the dress nearly drove me mad, the bolero was very easy – which I greatly appreciated by the time I came to sew it!
If you’ve been thinking of sewing this pattern, definitely give it a go but don’t get down-hearted if it’s a bit of a struggle. Unpick, resew, keep going – you’ll have a killer dress in the end.
It’s summer down here in Australia, so it felt like a good time to make Anne Adams 4705 (circa late 1940s/early 1950).
My version is made from quilter’s cotton purchased at Spotlight last year, and took about 4m of trim.
I’m pretty happy with this dress! It went together quite easily (except for all the hand-sewing of facings eep), and let me indulge my obsession for ric-rac trim!
The only major modifications I had to make were a sway-back adjustment to stop gaping, and to enlarge the hip pieces to fit my measurements.
Never skimp on making a muslin, even if it just confirms the pattern will fit you straight out of the packet.
Would I recommend this pattern? Yes, it’s easy to sew (if a bit fiddly with the trim) and easy to grade to different sizes.
Would I sew it again? Possibly, but I have a few other house-dress patterns I’d like to try first.
As always, more on my blog …
Just sneaking my last bit of vintage sewing into the end of 2013 – some basic women’s summer tops using Simplicity 2118 (circa late 1950s).
This is what the pattern sleeve looks like – I went with View 1. Apparently they are bra tops – I couldnt image wearing this as a bra!
I didnt realise how versatile this pattern was until I made it up – it only takes an hour or so, and uses under 1.5m of fabric.
The pattern has plenty of ease, and I didnt need to do a FBA to size up like I would normally (I have a 39 inch bust, the pattern is for a 38 inch).
The golden rod fabric I used is a new quilter’s homespun (mercerized cotton) from Spotlight here in Australia. It’s got a really nice polished feel to it, and comes in some fab retro colour ways.
I made it again in black poplin for my Christmas Day outfit, plus a 1940′s tablecloth turned into a skirt.
I would recommend this pattern if you can get your hands on it; easy, versatile and a great wardrobe builder.
It’s heading into Summer down here in Australia, meaning hot and humid weather is just around the corner. My mission to have a fully wearable Vintage Wardrobe means I have plenty of summer skirts – but a serious lack of shorts/capris!
The perfect solution is clamdiggers! Dressy enough to wear to lunch out with friends, casual enough to wear in the garden.
The pattern was Advance 5008 (c. 1950), View 2. This pattern was really, really easy to put together, and fit pretty much perfectly with minimal modifications for my big behind.
And my favourite feature – no zips! The double button tab is the closure! I chose black and white gingham for a nice contrast.
To look a bit more professional, I top-stitched all the seams in ochre coloured thread like store-bought denim and the side seams were placed against the selvedge of the fabric so they’d look fancy if the cuffs are folded up. (The indigo denim is from Spotlight).
I wish the photos did these clamdiggers justice – when I wore them dancing, two women came up and asked if they were Freddies, what a compliment! As always, more construction details and photos on my blog if you’re interested…