1960s | Dresses | Mad Men Inspired | Vintage Sewing

Mad Men Teal Joan Dress

By on April 23, 2013

I made this dress for Julia Bobbin’s Mad Men Dress Challenge.

My inspiration was this teal dress that Joan wore in season 5.

I used Butterick 2952 as a base pattern, but I made several alterations and additions.

I added buttons on the front bodice, changed the neckline and drafted a collar to go with the neckline. Then, I drafted new facing pieces for the front and back. For a closer fit, I lengthened the darts on the front and back of the skirt. I also had to take the darts in a bit more at the waist. There is an invisible zip on the left side for closure, instead of a zipper in the back.

For more details and photos, see this post.

Continue Reading

1940s | Dresses | Vintage Sewing

Sew for Victory–Simplicity 4036 Chambray Shirtwaist Dress

By on April 1, 2013

I made this dress for the Sew for Victory sew along challenge, hosted by Rochelle from Lucky Lucille.

I used a vintage pattern from the 1940s, Simplicity 4036. I had to make a lot of alterations to the pattern (it was two sizes too big and I always have a lot of fit issues anyway), but I’d say it was worth it.

The fabric is a vintage chambray that I picked up at a thrift store a while back for about $2. I made the buttons and the belt, using material I had left over from a previous reconstruction. It has little red cherries with navy and light blue stems and leaves.

If you’re interested, you can read more about it here.

Continue Reading

1960s

The Louisa Coat

By on November 15, 2012

This coat is made from a heavily interfaced, vintage double knit that I found in the thrift store a few years ago. I made it using a self-drafted pattern. I think the coat has a very 60’s feel to it.

It is fully lined, and features a large collar, puff sleeves, welt pockets, topstitching and fabric covered buttons. It’s complete with my own tag and a hanging loop inside.

If I’d had more fabric, I would’ve added a detail in the back like a little buttoned belt. Oh well, I’ll add that to my next version.

The coat design is based on a well-worn and well-loved coat that I’ve had for several years. Rather than make a complete copy of the coat, I changed some things. The size of the coat is a tad larger (the store-bought one was an extra-small), the collar is much larger, the placement of the welt pockets is different, the pocket openings are wider (the store-bought coat had such small openings that I could barely fit my hands in them), some of the seams are topstitched, and the sleeves and armholes have more wiggle room for additional layers.

Technically, this is a muslin, but I hope you’ll agree this is a very wearable muslin. I love it! I plan to make a few changes to the pattern and make another coat. The biggest thing I’ll change is the size of the sleeves. I overcompensated a bit in adding room to the sleeves, so I’ll shape the sleeves a bit more for my next coat.

If you are interested in more photos and details about the project, please see this post and this post. Thanks for looking! 🙂

Continue Reading

1960s

Talking with Turtles 60s Mod Dress

By on May 12, 2012

This project is in honor of a turtle friend that I made last weekend (more details on my blog).

I know that the color and geometric pattern on the dress is not an exact match to the turtle’s shell, but I associate the project with that turtle. Probably because of the yellow markings and the fact that a dress is sort of like a shell.

I used McCalls 2390 (one of the patterns from the free batch I received) from the 1960s, a vintage thrifted double-knit and buttons from G Street Fabrics.

The total cost for the dress was about $4.

I did make a few changes to the pattern. I altered the neckline, added a bit of width to the hips, and shortened the hemline.

If you are interested in more information or pictures (plus close-up photos of a cute turtle), please see this post. Thanks for looking!

Continue Reading

1960s

Floral wrap button back dress

By on May 8, 2012

I made this dress using a vintage floral cotton that was given to me. I also used a vintage sewing pattern that I acquired for free: Simplicity 8827.

So this dress was essentially made for free, except for the cost of thread.

I made a few adjustments to the pattern (neckline, waist and length), but the overall style is the same.

If you are interested, more details, pictures and information at my blog.

Continue Reading

1960s

“Better late than never” dress

By on April 9, 2012

I started making this dress a little over a year ago, and put it aside for one reason or another. In an effort to make progress on my UFO pile, I pulled it out about a month ago.

I originally cut out the bodice pieces from McCalls 2287 from the ’60s.

However, I had to make a few alterations. I lowered the neckline, removed excess material from the armholes, and made fewer buttonholes.

This dress will get a lot of wear this spring/summer.

If you’re interested in more information and pictures, please see this post.

Continue Reading